Sign in to follow this  
chelboed

Lew's Question...

Hi guys! Midwest bank fisherman here. Small lakes, ponds. I spend most of the time fishing weedlines with Senko's, Wobbleheads, Mepp's, and Beetlespin's. Occasionally, I'll bankfish a larger body of water with crankbaits.

I have a new Lew's Tournament Lite. I got it in 6.4. I know the frame and plates are C45 Carbon, not graphite...but I'm skeptical. I love the reel, but will the carbon last?

I also got a TLP1H 6.4:1 Team Pro on eBay brand new for $150. It's not the newer "Z" model, but the only differences are 10# drag versus 14# (I live in Missouri...we don't have Texas / Florida sized bass here, so the drag is probably moot) and a screw release versus pin for the side plate. I called Lew's and they said all else is the same. The Tournament Lite will freespool longer than the Team Pro which makes me wonder if it has better bearings.

I also have a new 5.4:1 standard 9+1 Speed Spool that I got from Dick's for $45 on clearance that I could use for crankbaits but it wouldn't cast with the BB-1 for sure.

I like to have at least 2 reels...one as a backup in case one goes down. I generally only take one with me bank fishing.

-I had considered selling the Tournament LITE putting another $60-70 with it and getting the Team LITE because it has a metal frame...but will I even notice a difference in the long run? Other than that, I will gain nothing because they are configured indentically. Basically the same weight, bearings, brakes and drag. I don't tournament fish and I'm usually only out 3hrs at a time.

-Since the *** of Speedcast 6-pin 27 position centrifugal brakes...is the dual cast control of my Team Pro obsolete? I know the new model is the same, but many have said that the 6-pin variable is working better than the 4pin on/off with magnetic variable? I could sell the Team Pro, keep the Tourney LITE, and buy a BB-1 pro for later in the year when longer crankbait casts are needed.

I don't want to use either one until I decide b/c I can sell them New in Box.

Really, right now I'm sitting kinda pretty because I only paid:

5.4:1 Speed Spool-$45

6.4:1 Team Pro-$150

6.4:1 Team LITE-$00.00

Falcon Bucoo Micro 6'10" Heavy-$99

Lew's Tournament SL Micro 7' Medium - $45

Lew's Tournament SL Micro 7" MH - $59

So I'm considering:

1. Selling the Tourney LITE, and buying a Team LITE (keep the Team Pro as a backup)

2. Selling the Team Pro and buying a BB-1 Pro (Fish the Tourney LITE early in the season and BB-1 in crankbait season)

3. Sell the 5.4:1 Speed Spool and buy a BB-1 Pro

4. Keep them like they are and fish them till they fall apart.

I would probably put the Team Pro on the Falcon, the Tourney LITE on the MH Tournament SL, and the 5.4 Speed Spool or a BB-1 Pro on the Medium Tournament SL.

I guess I'll never be able to afford $600 reels and $15,000 boats...but I'm to the point in my life right now where I can afford the best reel in the Lew's lineup which I will be staying with because I've been fishing Lew's since I was 15 years old.

Thanks in advance.

I'm fishing Lew's as of now and plan to fish them until they fall apart. I'm guessing that technology will catch up before that, so I may buy some new ones before they break... I'd just buy the BB1 and keep em all!

Dont take this the wrong way, but. that is a lot of thinking about what to do.  I get it, I think like this (I'm thinking you might be an engineer), but I have Tournament Lite as well and have some doubts about it as well, but sometimes you just need to fish what you got and let things play out.

I dont think there is a right answer, only which answer/option you are most comfortable with.

Good luck,

Wdy

PS

This is my first Lew's and I love the new 6 pin cent. brake.  So, I am sticking with that personally.

PSS go with option 4, fish them till they fall apart, give each reel a far shot.  You might find something you could have missed out on by selling them off.

• Like 1

I've fallen in love with my Lews. I think they're a great company. 

Thanks for the insight so far.

Not an engineer but should have been. I love to prototype things on my own time. Hyper tinkerer for sure. OCD? Pretty much.

I think I'm to the point where I will keep the Team Pro and Tournament Lite. I had a 6.4 Speed Spool that I just sold prior to starting this thread. I'm working on selling the 5.4 and hopefully get a BB-1 Pro in 5.1 Multi Stop for my medium rod.

That's the plan.

To any newer anglers reading this thread...don't let this deter you from getting a standard Speed Spool LFS. My standard Speed Spools are excellent. Extremely smooth, strong, and capable.

I will mention that I love Lews as a company, love their values, American Hero program, and devotion to bringing killer products at a blue collar price that I can enjoy.

I still have my first BB-1 LMG that I got 22 years ago.

Thanks again friends.