Sign in to follow this  
Heron

Lake Fork Live Magic Shad On A Chatterbait.

Am I missing something? 

This setup has none of the original swimming action of the Magic shad.   Swimming the Magic Shad by itself produces a very nice swimming action on a steady retrieve.  Put it onto the chatterbait, and that swimming action disappears.

So then....why again is this a great chatterbait trailer? 

Yea I get what you are saying but the way the bait is designed with the cut out sections for freedom of movement allow a very erratic action yet durable when used as a trailer albeit not the same action it was designed for because the chatterbait inhibits the correct flow over the swimbait and imparts its own action into it.

Edit: I am talking about the LIVE magic shad design not the boot tail or plain magic shad.

I believe what happens is this...

An oscillating blade (of any type really) creates a disturbance in the water which results in noise and vibration.  But, to achieve this, it causes the water directly behind that blade to become turbulent.   That turbulence flows across the bait in a highly erratic, and uneven sort of way. 

Long story short, the action of a soft plastic bait functions better in a clean, smooth, column of water.  The action is less when swam in a turbulent and disturbed column of water.

Yea I get what you are saying but the way the bait is designed with the cut out sections for freedom of movement allow a very erratic action yet durable when used as a trailer albeit not the same action it was designed for because the chatterbait inhibits the correct flow over the swimbait and imparts its own action into it.

Edit: I am talking about the LIVE magic shad design not the boot tail or plain magic shad.

Agreed, and yes we are speaking of the same bait.

Which brings me back to my original question --> Why is this a great chatterbait trailer again?

But obivously it is, no question about its effectiveness.   I just want to know why.   

Which brings me back to my original question --> Why is this a great chatterbait trailer again?

But obivously it is, no question about its effectiveness.   I just want to know why.   

Fish it with pauses and jerks. Thats how I get them to act differently 

I thought I answered it, I must have misunderstood the question. Its effectiveness comes from its action, which is great because of physical properties of the bait that is different than other chatter-bait trailers that I mentioned in my previous post. Basically, due to the design of the bait, though unintentional, the hard vibration can impart a ton of movement on it.

If I am missing the mark again, fill me in :)

Edit: I missed your last post. Laminar flow is ideal for a designs intended action I would agree, but turbulent flow does not necessarily mean it would have less action. I also have no reason to believe the blade would cause enough turbulence if at all to effect the bait, I think it more of an issue of blocked/reduced flow over the body of the bait that does not allow it to work effectively. This is where I believe the action a trailer receives is virtually minimal from flow but mostly from the mechanical vibration transmitted through he body of the chatter-bait to the trailer and the ability to utilize these vibrations makes certain baits better than others as trailers for chatter-baits.

I thought I answered it, I must have misunderstood the question. Its effectiveness comes from its action, which is great because of physical properties of the bait that is different than other chatter-bait trailers that I mentioned in my previous post. Basically, due to the design of the bait, though unintentional, the hard vibration can impart a ton of movement on it.

If I am missing the mark again, fill me in :)

Edit: I missed your last post. Laminar flow is ideal for a designs intended action I would agree, but turbulent flow does not necessarily mean it would have less action. I also have no reason to believe the blade would cause enough turbulence if at all to effect the bait, I think it more of an issue of blocked/reduced flow over the body of the bait that does not allow it to work effectively. This is where I believe the action a trailer receives is virtually minimal from flow but mostly from the mechanical vibration transmitted through he body of the chatter-bait to the trailer and the ability to utilize these vibrations makes certain baits better than others as trailers for chatter-baits.

Ok, let me make sure I understood you correctly.  

So then, you feel that the bait excels as a chatterbait trailer, not because of its intended action by design, but instead by its ability to make use of the chatterbait's vibration, which is in a manner that is better than other trailers.

Correct? 

Fish it with pauses and jerks. Thats how I get them to act differently 

I dont fish around jerks.  they annoy  me.

(hyaaahh, ba-doom tshh)

I love the action it has. Rather than a straight swim as you get with the magic shad fished alone, you get an erratic, fleeing/injured baitfish look. I love the profile it gives on a bladed jig.

I fish bluebasser86 big head wobbler bladed jigs... I can tell you when I'm at lake of the ozarks I will take his "kicker shad" color with a live magic shad in green gizzard shad and put it up against any bait out there.

• Like 1

Ok, let me make sure I understood you correctly.  

So then, you feel that the bait excels as a chatterbait trailer, not because of its intended action by design, but instead by its ability to make use of the chatterbait's vibration, which is in a manner that is better than other trailers.

Correct? 

Yes sir, just my opinion though and to call it better than other trailers may not be verifiable but I do like it as an option.

Hmmm.....well I can certainly live with that.

• Like 1