Sign in to follow this  
SHaugh

Guntersville Next Week

Planning on a trip to Guntersville next week.  This will be my first time there.   Looking for any advice about where to fish or how.  Planning on putting in at Honeycomb campground.

I'm not asking for your best spot...... but maybe your second best :wink7:  ?    Please assume that I'm a complete Noob...Which will not be far off..... especially on that lake....   Any advice would be much appreciated.

I just hit Guntersville today. I put in at Sunrise Marina, right next to Honeycomb campground.

The spawn appears to be over. Had a pretty good day with all the post-spawn feeding going on.

Hooked up on a few dragging a heavy football jig down the rip rap at the U.S. 431 bridge over honeycomb creek (up creek from the campground). Also caught a few on submerged grass lines in 6-10 foot of water.

If you are comfortable with a jig, I highly recommend hitting the rip rap directly around the bridge mentioned above especially if they are drawing water either up stream or down. Aside from that, a swim jig, swimbait, or narrow bodied creature bait works well in the grass lines. There's a decent article up on AL.com about pulling swim jigs through the grass. Link below.

Grasslines can be found all over the area. If you launch at honeycomb campground, head up creek to find some quickly. The north end of the bank is covered with them for miles. Look for a gradual drop off, run over the area in 4-10 foot of water, and your sonar should pick them up easily.

http://www.al.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2015/05/swim_jigs--post_spawn_magic.html#incart_river_mobile

Good luck!

I fished guntersville yesterday. I found all my fish in 7-12 ft of water in grass dragging a Carolina rig. Good Luck

I'm headed over there tomorrow for all day fishing. I plan on putting in at the Holiday Inn ramp and fishing some rip-rap along the causeway and some of the islands. We'll see what the warmer weather has done to'em.

Well, made it back from yesterday's trip. What nixdorf and NAbass said pretty much held true for me. I fished a shaky head on rip-rap and cement walls with some grass, and close to open water. It was a good trip!

We're back too.  Had a great trip and did try your advice.   Caught a few on the rip-rap along 431.   Did well along the opposite shore from the campground.  10 feet of water with crankbaits seemed to be the best choice for us.   Thanks to all.

Glad I could help. I love fishing Guntersville.You can catch them so many different ways unlike other lakes.

Hit G'ville yesterday. Put in at Honeycomb (Sunrise Marina) at dawn.

I intended to head up creek and pass under the 431 bridge to fish shallow top water. Ended up stopping and fishing the causeway first (couldn't resist). Started with a 3/4 oz football head jig and summercraw trailer. Hooked into a 4 pounder on third cast--top water what?!

Ended up fishing the bridge and causeway for a few hours. Moved over to flipping docks along honeycomb creek. All told, ended up with 7 bass including the 4-0 mentioned above, a 5-15, and a 4-3. Best five was around 20 pounds (I only weighed the three mentioned above). All fish came on football head or brush head jigs.

It was an awesome day for me. Maybe I'm figuring this jig fishing out...

I live close to Birmingham and go to Guntersville pretty often. Not as much as I would like to though. The fishing is amazing. If y'all are interested I am organizing a charity bass tournament for Cystic Fibrosis. in honor of my niece. It is September 19, 2015 launching from the State Park. I can send you all the details about it. It has been sanctioned by several boat companies.

I've never had to stay in Guntersville because I'm less than an hour away, but a lot of people stay at the state park. There is a Holiday Inn right on the water. That's where I usually put in. There is a Hampton Inn close to the water.

The state park is a good value, but depending on where you are fishing it can be a time consuming drive leaving the park. The road is quite steep and winding. It can get interesting when it is raining and you are pulling a boat! We are going stay at the Hampton in June. The free breakfast almost makes up for the difference in price when you are feeding a 17 year old boy!