Sign in to follow this  
69_GS_400

? Making A Rat Wake Bate

Guys im looking for some advice on how to finish up my rat wake bait Ive made. So fat the bait is just about shaped and sanded. Its not the prettiest but as long as I can get it to swim right I will be satisfied. So the bait is still in one piece and was hoping to get some suggestions on the following.

Where and how to cut the bait to make it symmetrical?

What do I use to make the body parts connect?

Where and what type of screw eye hooks should I use for the line tie and the hooks?

How to cut the slot for the bill and what degree angle should the cut be?

What type of material should I use for the bill?

I would love for this bait to be able to move on top water at a slow retrieve but with a faster retrieve to dive to a shallow depth.

The bait is about 5.5in long. I basically tried to make my own version of the Woodrow rat. Picture attached is what im trying to replicate

Thanks Mike

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-47808-0-01803800-1431206340_thumb.p

they sell stainless steel eye screws at home depot , $ .98 for a bag of 4-6 . I just made a waking rat swimbait , I used a lexan plexi-glass I picked up from a manufacturing company that sells scrap pieces , the piece I got (10'' x 10'' x 3/16'' ) they gave to me free !! for the bill . bought some furry fabric from a fabric store and used it to entirely skin the bait , looks pretty good !!! I used an Owner CPS spring attached to the eye screw to attach a tail ( Zoom finesse worm , natural blue )  gonna go to an upholstery shop and get some furniture nails ( round nail head) , paint them black to use for the eyes . I'll post a pic when I'm done ....