Dillo

Small Fishing Boat

I was thinking about getting a boat for fishing in small lakes and even slow rivers, but I have never dealt with boats so i have no idea where to look. What type of boat would be good for shallow water, standing up in, holding two people, and paddling or using a small motor? It would also be nice to be able to transport it and launch it without a big trailer and boat ramp, but i'm sot sure if that is possible with a two person boat. I've tried kayaks before but I'm not super comfortable fishing out of one. I've seen some small aluminum Jon boats and prams that look like they might work for me, but i don't know if there is anything that would suit my needs better. Also i would not like to spend too much, so the boat would have to be under 500.

I think the Pelican Bass Raider would fit your needs.  Will fit in the back of a pickup. 4 feet wide, so you can stand and fish.  Works great with a trolling motor or two (one front and one back) or a small outboard.  $499 @ Academy.  There is a very long thread in this forum on the Raider.  Several hours of reading.

Ken

I have a 14ft Myers sports pal canoe. It only weighs 57lbs so I can toss it on the roof of the jeep by myself. It's very comfortable with two people and all the gear. We have fishes several times both standing with out a problem, it just takes some getting used to. Check out this video, it's why ultimately convinced me to get one.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JsPLpOHgCoU

I've got a 12.5' Porta-Bote.  I'm 67 and out of shape, but can put it on my roof rack alone.  It fishes 2 people better than my brother-in-law's 14' dingy because it is more stable at 5' wide.  You can stand up in it without fear of tipping over.  Drafts 4 inches.  Rows easy.  Small motor moves it right along.  Got it because I had no place to put a boat trailer.  Hang the boat on the wall in my garage, and stack the rest of it under the boat.  Also bought 2 swivel seats for it at the same time.  Support sure helps my mistake back.

Not all is rosy, tho.  Have to assemble the boat when you get to the water.  Have to disassemble it when ready to go home.  I can't do it in the 15 minutes shown on a youtube video.  I bought a ski rack at the same time as the roof rack.  Usually carry about 10 rods in it.  Mounted next to where the boat goes.

Soon as I post this, I am going to look at the link above.