Sign in to follow this  
TwoCan

Quantum Smoke

Any reviews on the Quantum Smoke rod? Thinking about getting one 6'9''M of jerk and rip baits/top water.

I think it is an under rated rod, I have a 7' MH-F and it is a really good stick for the price. One of my friends hates Quantum with a passion and I told him to fish the rod a bit, it took some coaxing but he finally used it and then at the end of the day he was cussing at me pretty good. He really liked the rod and didn't like the fact it was a Quantum and he liked it so much he got one for himself but he put a piece of electrical taps over the word, Quantum. That is the old model, I do not know about the newer ones, the only thing I do know is they use the same blank so it should still be pretty good.

My punching and heavy cover rod is a 7' 2" H/Xf micro and really like it.

It's light enough to use all day, has a little softer action than other XF rods, which make it perfect for pitching a long way or even for mid range flip cast's.

Also, the handle is short enough so it won't keep jabbing me in the side.

To me it's as sensative a rod as a lot of the more popular ones.

Mike

By the way mine is not one of the new ones, it's about 5 yrs old, if that makes a difference.

Mike

I have the previous model (I think) 7' MF.  It has the blue trim.  Very nice looking rod.  Handle is a bit short, but so are the handles on some of my other rods.  I prefer 2-handed casting, but this rod lends itself well to 1-handed casting.  I really like the reel seat.  Feels very comfortable to me.  Trigger between 2nd and 3rd fingers is perfect for 1-handed (or 2-handed) casting.  Move it between 3rd finger and pinky, and the reel palms great.  I currently have mine paired with an Alphas.  Pretty light combo and an absolute pleasure to use.  One-handed casting with this rod is a breeze .....specially when compared to my *** Black which feels like I am going to lose the rod with 1-handed casting.  That is because the grip on the Smoke is of sufficient size.

Not sure if I like the hook keeper's location, but that may be due to the fact none of my other rods are at that location.  It definitely eliminates the possibility of line catching on it.  I think it is something that will grow on me.  Guides aren't true micros, but are smaller than standards.  I'm not a fan of true micro guides, but these are a very nice compromise and I like them.

Bought a Smoke rod based on Dan's (smalljaw67) suggestion.  I wasn't disappointed.  Have to assume the new model is at least as good.  Therefore I think you will be pleased with one.    :teeth:

I have the previous model (I think) 7' MF.  It has the blue trim.  Very nice looking rod.  Handle is a bit short, but so are the handles on some of my other rods.  I prefer 2-handed casting, but this rod lends itself well to 1-handed casting.  I really like the reel seat.  Feels very comfortable to me.  Trigger between 2nd and 3rd fingers is perfect for 1-handed (or 2-handed) casting.  Move it between 3rd finger and pinky, and the reel palms great.  I currently have mine paired with an Alphas.  Pretty light combo and an absolute pleasure to use.  One-handed casting with this rod is a breeze .....specially when compared to my *** Black which feels like I am going to lose the rod with 1-handed casting.  That is because the grip on the Smoke is of sufficient size.

Not sure if I like the hook keeper's location, but that may be due to the fact none of my other rods are at that location.  It definitely eliminates the possibility of line catching on it.  I think it is something that will grow on me.  Guides aren't true micros, but are smaller than standards.  I'm not a fan of true micro guides, but these are a very nice compromise and I like them.

Bought a Smoke rod based on Dan's (smalljaw67) suggestion.  I wasn't disappointed.  Have to assume the new model is at least as good.  Therefore I think you will be pleased with one.    :teeth:

The blue trim model is an in-shore model, Casey Ashley opted for that rod at the classic because it has the larger guides than the freshwater version. The nice thing about that is the actions are pretty much the same with the guides being the only difference.

I think it is an under rated rod, I have a 7' MH-F and it is a really good stick for the price. One of my friends hates Quantum with a passion and I told him to fish the rod a bit, it took some coaxing but he finally used it and then at the end of the day he was cussing at me pretty good. He really liked the rod and didn't like the fact it was a Quantum and he liked it so much he got one for himself but he put a piece of electrical taps over the word, Quantum. That is the old model, I do not know about the newer ones, the only thing I do know is they use the same blank so it should still be pretty good.

I have the same smoke 7 m-h and it's awesome. Totally underrated.....

Looks like that's what I will be getting then! Now, just to find a 7.1:1 reel...

• Like 1

I have two that were just sent in for warranty on micro guides. The rods are great, lightweight and stout. I love fishing with them, but so far not impressed with the way the guides are attached to the rod. Lost an insert too.

I have two that were just sent in for warranty on micro guides. The rods are great, lightweight and stout. I love fishing with them, but so far not impressed with the way the guides are attached to the rod. Lost an insert too.

New ones or old ones? I'm asking because mine seem to be holding up extremely well for getting used pretty hard but I have the original Smoke.

Funny you said this. I broke one yesterday. Definitely the weak point of that rod...