Sign in to follow this  
5fishlimit

Jackson Big Rig Kayak

I was hoping that somebody with this kayak could answer how long of a rod can be stored within the hull.  I've seen pictures of people storing their rods during transport in the hull that is accessible through the front storage hatch.

I am leaning towards purchasing one this year, but haven't been able to physically see one yet.  I will be going to try this and a few of the other Jackson models out later in the year.

can't speak to that exact model, but my friend has the coosa and at 11'2" it will easily hold a 7' rod (don't know about longer, never tried).  I have a wilderness ride 135 (closer build and specs to the big rig) and i can handle at least a 7'6" as that is the longest rod i've ever owned/tried.  I've put up to 8 combos in the hull of ride 135 with no issues (rod sleeves help A TON).  one small consideration while putting your rods in the hull: they may slide back and forth which can damage/break a tip.  i take a small bit of paracord and go all the way around the rods just in front of the reels and just make a loop, then close said loop into the lid of the hatch.  this keeps the rod tight in place and does not allow them to slide back and forth.

those big rigs look really nice!  i especially like the rod trough/rod tip protectors, very cool design.  best of luck with the search/purchase!

• Like 1

Thanks!  That's exactly what I was looking for.  I didn't know if the space in the hull ran all the way back, or if it stopped at some point maybe under the seat.

I wouldn't see myself using anything longer than a 7'4" frog rod, but mainly around the 6'6" to 7'0" range.

from the pics, i can't see anything obstructing the line from the bow hatch to the back.  if it's like mine, it's likely "separated" into "chambers" so to speak from the mold of the scupper holes.  in other words, i have like 3 paths or lines i can put the rods in, but it's not all one big open compartment.  hope that makes sense....

if you see one in person, you'd know in a second if you could or not....