briggs and stratton

I have not bought a b&s for a boat.  But I have to believe it could push a 14' jon boat around probably at about 7-9 MPH.  If you stop to think about it the motor won't be running that many hours and they have been running on lawn mowers for years.  With a tight budget, it would not be a bad buy.  IMHO.   :o

I think somebody on here had something to say about those awhile back (you might scroll throught the old posts and find it).  They claimed they had problems with warranty service or something, but they admitted to buying the first year's model and that maybe Brigg's had corrected the malfunction that caused the problem  though.

I agree, B&S engines have always been my engine of choice on mowers and last for years.  I just bought a 12 jonboat and may have a desire to purchase a motor soon, too.  I'm taking the "wait and see" approach to these motors.

If any of you get the nerve take them B&s motors to a gokart motor builder and see if you can rigg a clutch on them.

I raced gokarts for many years and dad still has a racing business.

I raced at almost 400 lbs with a b&s engine i raced what was the stock class and was hitting speeds in excess of 70 mph.

I thought about buying one of them outboards and seeing what i could do to it.