Montanaro

Neko rig weight

So ive become facinated with this technique and feel like it could help me as a co angler and fisherman in general.  What weight do you all suggest? Last weekend i used 3/16 lead cylinder weight in a stickbait and felt like the bait fell very fast.

Would a 1/16th be adequate?  Im looking at fishing it very shallow to out to 15 feet or so.  Perhaps a 1/8th?

I use sheet metal screws. 8 x 5/8 and 8 x 3/4 for worms 6" and over and 6 x 5/8 for 4" worms. They're about $1.30 for 20.

1 hour ago, Mosster47 said:

I use sheet metal screws. 8 x 5/8 and 8 x 3/4 for worms 6" and over and 6 x 5/8 for 4" worms. They're about $1.30 for 20.

either do this or get some nails and cut the head off. You can cut the nails at different lengths until you find what weight you like

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mosster47 said:

This

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mosster47 said:

I like that idea! I will try that. I had been useing the small screw in bullet weights.

yes not a bad idea...but it doesnt answer my question

I would experiment with different weights from1/32 to 3/16 but I think I use 1/8 the most since I fish water under 10-15' most of the time. Lunker City Makes Nail weights so you can see how much they weigh, but I usually just use bull shots and split shots for price. I usually prefer slower fall rates,but 3/16 may work best on some days....Kind of all depends, I just figure 1/8 is always a good starting spot when adding weight...

1/16 is perfect if it is calm, and for 15' you may want to go heavier if you are getting bit near bottom. 1/8 gets a worm down fairly quickly and you can maintain control over it even if the boat is moving etc...3/16 is a fast fall but may be needed if windy and if fish are relating to the bottom. You can manipulate fall rates with lb test and type of line, hooks as well. If you can get away with lighter line I find that get's me more strikes and allows me to use less weight which all can make a difference.90% of my strikes come on the initial fall....you know when it is right...

Here is the best value I have found : Go to WM and look for the larger size quantity packs of plain round head jigs in 1/16th oz. to 3/16th oz. weights  . With side cutters cut the hook off about 1/8th inch  below the jighead barb , place a small drop of super glue on the jighead barb then insert the cut off jighead into the end of the soft plastic until the jighead is flush with the bottom of the soft plastic (the straight cut off hook wire below the jighead barb will get the hole started nicely) . I even go so far as to paint the round jighead to match or contrast with the soft plastic I am using . I think you will like this approach best as it is inexpensive , easy to modify  , easy to use and the round jihead  at the bottom of the soft plastic looks like the head of a critter scrounging around on the bottom . Since I stocked up on plain jigheads in the sizes I use for the Neko rig I don't botther with nails , screws , or the expensive Neko Rig weights . * While of course this technique is most known for using with soft plastic worms - mix it up and try it with your favorite soft plastic craw or creature bait for a classic defensive posture on the bottom which bass will distroy !

• Like 2

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Mosster47 said:

Revising  an old post here with a useful update : Pan Phillips style sheet metal screws in sizes #10 x 3/4" are working well for Senko style stick baits on a Neko rig ... Slightly wider , heavier head than a #8 size which fits flush with the wider stick bait giving the bait a nice fall rate and presentation . Cost is $1.30 for 8 pcs. in hardware section of large box stores .