Wiljarow

G. Loomis E6X Casting Rods

I'm looking at revamping my arsenal and replacing most of my rods. I've been looking into the E6X rods. Does anyone have experience with them? I've also looked at the Cousins IM-8's. They are a little pricier and the G. Loomis name carries some weight from what I have researched. I've never picked one up. But this is coming from a guy who has never owned a rod worth more than $100 (*** *** Black) and I thought it fished like a dream. Would love to hear opinions on these rods or rods around the same price point. $170ish, not quite the $200 mark. 

Spend what you can afford. Buying a $200 or $300 rod isn't going to make you a better fisherman. However, it does give you rods that tend to have very good warranties.

I just got one and fished it today. I got the 7'4" Heavy Mod'fast swimbait rod and I absolutely love it. Its fantastic for small/medium swimbaits.

Its rated 1/2-2oz but I was throwing a 3 oz swimbait on it just fine. I was also throwing a 1oz Picasso shock blade (bladed swim jig) and could feel everything with it. Very light and very sensitive. People complain that they used Fuji Aluminum Oxide guides instead of a higher grade like Alconite but the fuji aluminum oxide guides are fine.

Now having said this, I also picked up a Powell 3D Max 7'5" MH moderate/fast rod and I might even like this rod better than the E6X. I am extremely impressed with the Powell rod. Its $160 vs $200 for the E6X and the Powell has upgraded Fuji Alconite Guides but the only downfall is that they are made in China but you would never know by the quality. 

I have several other rods and the E6X and Powell 3D are going to easily be my two favorites. I own some of the ***, St Croix Mojo Bass and Okuma which are all great rods, but the E6X and Powell 3D blow them away.

I may sell all my rods and buy all Powell 3D Max and or Loomis E6X

I have 4 of them in my shop and I really like how they feel. I'm tempted to buy the mag-lite drop shot rod but am pretty skeptical because I usually boat flip my fish up the seawalls where I fish. 

21 minutes ago, Fishin' Fool said:

Spend what you can afford. Buying a $200 or $300 rod isn't going to make you a better fisherman. However, it does give you rods that tend to have very good warranties.

I'm not really looking at it from that angle. I just want an upgrade but since I'm upgrading I want to make sure I'm not just paying extra money for a rod that is the same quality as a lower end rod.

17 minutes ago, mojojojo said:

I just got one and fished it today. I got the 7'4" Heavy Mod'fast swimbait rod and I absolutely love it. Its fantastic for small/medium swimbaits.

Its rated 1/2-2oz but I was throwing a 3 oz swimbait on it just fine. I was also throwing a 1oz Picasso shock blade (bladed swim jig) and could feel everything with it. Very light and very sensitive. People complain that they used Fuji Aluminum Oxide guides instead of a higher grade like Alconite but the fuji aluminum oxide guides are fine.

Now having said this, I also picked up a Powell 3D Max 7'5" MH moderate/fast rod and I might even like this rod better than the E6X. I am extremely impressed with the Powell rod. Its $160 vs $200 for the E6X and the Powell has upgraded Fuji Alconite Guides but the only downfall is that they are made in China but you would never know by the quality. 

I have several other rods and the E6X and Powell 3D are going to easily be my two favorites. I own some of the ***, St Croix Mojo Bass and Okuma which are all great rods, but the E6X and Powell 3D blow them away.

I may sell all my rods and buy all Powell 3D Max and or Loomis E6X

Thank you, I'll definitely try out the Powell. I haven't looked into any of their rod lines so this will be interesting.

I assume we are talking about a casting rod and not a spinning rod?

In that price range I will recommend the Avid X over the E6X all day long. I just think you get a lot more bang for your buck there. 

I would also suggest you check out Hammer rods. They have been getting great reviews, so I just picked up a 7' MH. I haven't had the chance to fish it yet, but it is definitely quality and feels great.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oklahoma Mike said:

I assume we are talking about a casting rod and not a spinning rod?

In that price range I will recommend the Avid X over the E6X all day long. I just think you get a lot more bang for your buck there. 

I would also suggest you check out Hammer rods. They have been getting great reviews, so I just picked up a 7' MH. I haven't had the chance to fish it yet, but it is definitely quality and feels great.

Yes the Avid X is basically the same price but you get better guides. I would have bought the Avid X over the E6X but they dont have a model like the swimbait model of the E6X I was looking for. I wanted something in a heavy power but moderate/fast tip for swimbaits up to 3oz and the Avid doesn't have one. I would bet though that their 7'4" heavy/fast would do it even though its not rated that high on the lure weight.

Stcroix rods tend to class higher then others?  I would say that a mh stcroix to be closer to most heavy then mh.