Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Avalonjohn44

In NoVA, finally getting a boat, many lakes electric motors only...

Recommended Posts

I'm dismayed to find so many lakes in Northern VA limited to Electric only. I know we have the Potomac and Anna and parts of the Shenandoah, but don't want to get on the really big water until I am comfortable piloting my boat, so wanted to play in the kiddie pool small lakes for a while... Any suggestions? Do any smaller lakes allow us access if we trim a gas motor up out of the water? Or is it lake specific?  I live near lake Frederick, and see guys with their motors up all the time, but I don't see that stated specifically anywhere as OK or not OK... Any help would be appreciated... :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

down here in central VA most of the electric only lakes allow boats with motors as long as they are trimmed up and some want you to disconnect the gas tank.  So I guess the answer is it depends.  Just go on the DGIF website and look at the lakes you want to fish and see the specific rules on the lake specific pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been, it seems to be on a lake by lake basis which is a pain in the neck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

taking 3 minutes to find the regs on a website is a whole lot less of a pain than driving out there and finding out you wasted your time or getting a ticket though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I e-mailed that question off a few days ago for clearity, in speaking with some of our officers I seem to get differing answers, it may be due to the different locations as to just how they require different tactics, such as why some require a plastic bag covering the lower unit or even removal of your prop in some instances, far too many variances IMO.

I have used my bass boat on many electric only bodies of water, some were very difficult to launch into or pull out of but none have ever ticketed me for having it out there, they do like to go over everything so just make sure your prepared, make sure you have your throw device out in plain site too, some seem to think that having it readily accessible means that you pretty much have to have it in your hand.

Welcome to the wonderful world of boat ownership, always error on the side of caution, give others a second thought because usually they never think about you and have not a clue about boating safety nor do they remember any of the proper rules of the water ways we frequent.

Anna is a great place to learn how to do a lot of things with your craft, familiarize yourself with lake maps and hazards and take your time.

We all started where you are at now, if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Good luck and be safe !!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, flyfisher said:

taking 3 minutes to find the regs on a website is a whole lot less of a pain than driving out there and finding out you wasted your time or getting a ticket though :)

Problem is the conflicting or incomplete info on the VDIF website and, as Nitro mentioned, the varying interpretations by the individual enforcement officers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wayne P. said:

Hunting Run Reservoir:

sign1_zps7ebc9afc.jpg

 

 

 

Wish they were all that clear! ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that sign as been updated to include disconnecting the fuel line from the motor. I don't have a current picture of the signs. I will get one in a couple of days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who would want to run the risk of contaminating a seemingly well taken care of body of water with an accidental fuel spill?????

That just makes no sense, I would much rather just bag my lower unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna roll by my local lake (Lake Frederick) and check their signs out again. Haven't since a couple of years ago. Maybe they have an unambiguous sign now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

remember, if you havent already done so, take a VA boaters safety course class or atleast the online version on boatus website, you can find the link on the VDGIF website. It is required fully this year for all ages starting in july i think, it has been tiered in by age group over the last few years. I dont own a boat but took the free online course and got my certificate because i sometimes drive my uncles boat on SML, you can mail a copy of your certificate with a form you have to fill out thats available on the VDGIF website along with $10 to get a plastic card you can carry in your wallet which is more convenient than carrying around a certificate as proof.

the online course is broken in 6 sections with a 10 question quiz/test at the end of each. first they give you all the reading materials and you have to wait so many seconds per page before you can go to the next page of material so you cant just skip ahead to the quiz. if you fail a section you can take it over, once youve passed a section you dont have to do that section anymore. best part is you can do it at your own leisure...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 18, 2016 at 8:58 PM, Avalonjohn44 said:

I'm dismayed to find so many lakes in Northern VA limited to Electric only. I know we have the Potomac and Anna and parts of the Shenandoah, but don't want to get on the really big water until I am comfortable piloting my boat, so wanted to play in the kiddie pool small lakes for a while... Any suggestions? Do any smaller lakes allow us access if we trim a gas motor up out of the water? Or is it lake specific?  I live near lake Frederick, and see guys with their motors up all the time, but I don't see that stated specifically anywhere as OK or not OK... Any help would be appreciated... :D

 

 

I got a reply to that email I had sent off for us from the VDGIF.

 

Regulations and rules set by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries for lakes and reservoirs establishing that only the use of electric motors is allowable; refers only to use, not possession.  You would only be in violation of these regulations and rules if you were using your gasoline powered motor to propel your boat on those waters.  Merely having a gasoline motor on the boat does not violate those rules and regulations set by our department.  I would suggest that while on those bodies of water, you should trim your motor up and out of the water and also disconnect the fuel line to the motor to eliminate any confusion.  I would also suggest to ensure your winch and strap are in working order to trailer your boat because using your outboard to push the boat onto the trailer would constitute use.  I make these statements as generalities without knowing exactly which body(ies) of water you are referring to.  There is a possibility that we could be in a cooperative agreement with the owner of a body of water and they may not want any gasoline motors on their waters due to the possibility of fuel dripping or leaking into those waters.

Please keep in mind that there are lakes and reservoirs that are not regulated by our agency and the entity that owns those bodies of water may establish their own rules and could prohibit the possession of gasoline motors on boats on those waters.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Lieutenant Scott E. Naff 
VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries 
3801 John Tyler Memorial Highway
Charles City, VA  23030 
804-829-6580 (office) 
 

I just don't see any use in disconnecting a fuel line, can you imagine the fines you would face if fuel did in fact get away from you? 

I wouldn't mind bagging my lower unit though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know that the VDGIF has a say there or not, I know they stock that place but this is what their website says about it.

Hunting Run Reservoir is a 420-acre water supply reservoir owned and operated by Spotsylvania County. The lake was stocked by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries and opened to fishing by Spotsylvania County in fall, 2007. There is one access point near the upper end of the lake off Ely's Ford Road. The lake has an excellent largemouth bass population that is currently "bass heavy" or "predator heavy". 

Anglers need an access pass to fish on the reservoir. Season passes for Hunting Run Reservoir are only $8 for anglers from Spotsylvania, $10 for Fredericksburg and Stafford. Daily passes are also available and cost $3 for Spotsylvania, $5 for Fredericksburg and Stafford and $7 for all others, respectively. Combination season access to both Ni and Hunting Run costs $15 for Spotsylvania, and $18 for Fredericksburg and Stafford, and $25 for all others (and allows access to both Hunting Run and Ni River Reservoirs in Spotsylvania County). Senior citizens over age 62 have free access, and children under 16 have free access. Boat rentals are $6 an hour with a minimum of three hours and can be rented for up to eight hours. If using your own boat, it must have an electric motor, gas motors are allowed on boats but have to be raised out of the water or the fuel line disconnected. Gas motors are prohibited from operation unless engaged in official duties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Nitrofreak said:

I don't know that the VDGIF has a say there or not, I know they stock that place but this is what their website says about it.

Hunting Run Reservoir is a 420-acre water supply reservoir owned and operated by Spotsylvania County. The lake was stocked by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries and opened to fishing by Spotsylvania County in fall, 2007. There is one access point near the upper end of the lake off Ely's Ford Road. The lake has an excellent largemouth bass population that is currently "bass heavy" or "predator heavy". 

Anglers need an access pass to fish on the reservoir. Season passes for Hunting Run Reservoir are only $8 for anglers from Spotsylvania, $10 for Fredericksburg and Stafford. Daily passes are also available and cost $3 for Spotsylvania, $5 for Fredericksburg and Stafford and $7 for all others, respectively. Combination season access to both Ni and Hunting Run costs $15 for Spotsylvania, and $18 for Fredericksburg and Stafford, and $25 for all others (and allows access to both Hunting Run and Ni River Reservoirs in Spotsylvania County). Senior citizens over age 62 have free access, and children under 16 have free access. Boat rentals are $6 an hour with a minimum of three hours and can be rented for up to eight hours. If using your own boat, it must have an electric motor, gas motors are allowed on boats but have to be raised out of the water or the fuel line disconnected. Gas motors are prohibited from operation unless engaged in official duties.

I think this covers what the sign states " owned and operated by Spotsylvania County "

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nitro, that is awesome, I live about 15m from Lake Frederick and was seriously considering making a hoist to remove my motor from my new boat so I could fish someplace that I didn't have to drive 2 hours to... Thank you for the info, saves me from dropping the motor and shattering my foot. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Avalonjohn44 said:

Nitro, that is awesome, I live about 15m from Lake Frederick and was seriously considering making a hoist to remove my motor from my new boat so I could fish someplace that I didn't have to drive 2 hours to... Thank you for the info, saves me from dropping the motor and shattering my foot. :)

I don't think I would fish anywhere that I had to do something like that LOL !! 

I use my bass boat there all the time, I really like that place and it's only an hour away for me, I need to do a good bit more homework to be a bit more successful there but it's an awesome fishery !!!

2 hours ago, Wayne P. said:

I think this covers what the sign states " owned and operated by Spotsylvania County "

Yep!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some luck on lake Frederick., but got some great info on the guys that consistently caught 8+ pound bass. With the hundred boats that fish the lake at a time, it gets frustrating since the lake is so small. The guys in the spring time just cruise the shoreline on those windless sunny days and site fish with their white soft plastics. That is how the 10 pounders get caught. I heard some have caught Giants in the prespawn fishing the ridges in 8 feet of water with spinnerbaits. Lastly, one guy I talked to who caught numerous Giants each year predominantly fished with the shakey head and was not always site fishing. Biggest I caught there was close to 7. I never went enough to learn the hotspots. Definitely the best big bass spot in northern VA in my opinion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lake is hit hard on the weekends, but is a ghost town during the week days. I have an abnormal schedule and get to fish mid week, which is nice. I do ok there, nothing giant yet, but can consistently get six or seven decent fish on a shaky head or deep crank. Can't wait to fish Frederick from a real boat, my kayak is great, but a 45 yo fat guy in a kayak gets pretty stiff and uncomfortable quickly. :D Not to mention I'm limited on what I can bring...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, shimmy said:

I had some luck on lake Frederick., but got some great info on the guys that consistently caught 8+ pound bass. With the hundred boats that fish the lake at a time, it gets frustrating since the lake is so small. The guys in the spring time just cruise the shoreline on those windless sunny days and site fish with their white soft plastics. That is how the 10 pounders get caught. I heard some have caught Giants in the prespawn fishing the ridges in 8 feet of water with spinnerbaits. Lastly, one guy I talked to who caught numerous Giants each year predominantly fished with the shakey head and was not always site fishing. Biggest I caught there was close to 7. I never went enough to learn the hotspots. Definitely the best big bass spot in northern VA in my opinion.

Thanks for that info Shimmy, I've tried more natural colors because that water is usually clear, I have marked some of those ridges for fishing them later, never seen any fish on them but the spots look really good, could be that I spooked them when I did, there are also a couple of cars in that place that I have caught some decent ones off of, nothing that broke the 5lb mark but big enough to keep interest in the place, lots of wood there too, can't wait to get back and try and change things up a bit.

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, Avalonjohn44 said:

The lake is hit hard on the weekends, but is a ghost town during the week days. I have an abnormal schedule and get to fish mid week, which is nice. I do ok there, nothing giant yet, but can consistently get six or seven decent fish on a shaky head or deep crank. Can't wait to fish Frederick from a real boat, my kayak is great, but a 45 yo fat guy in a kayak gets pretty stiff and uncomfortable quickly. :D Not to mention I'm limited on what I can bring...

Deep crank? As in a 10XD?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm off on June 6th and 7th, I plan on hitting lake Fredrick one or both of those days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nitrofreak said:

Deep crank? As in a 10XD?

No, for me a deep crank is a DT 10.  That is about as deep as I go because the big cranks act like a trolling motor on my kayak. I sometimes wonder if the bait is staying in place and I'm dragging my kayak towards it....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Avalonjohn44 said:

No, for me a deep crank is a DT 10.  That is about as deep as I go because the big cranks act like a trolling motor on my kayak. I sometimes wonder if the bait is staying in place and I'm dragging my kayak towards it....

LOL!! Well, with a bass boat you should have at least a 70lb. thrust TM? If so you won't have that feeling any more or at least it won't take as long to long line a deep crank.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm gonna see if I can get upgraded to a 24v trolling motor right away. I have heard almost unanimously that the 12v is just too little.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×