Sign in to follow this  
smr913

New creek setup

Looking at getting a new creek/small river setup. I'll be throwing 1/16-1/8 oz jig heads with different plastics (3" grubs and paddletails, finesse worms, baby rage craws), little topwaters, and small cranks like the rebel craws. I already own a 6'8" MF spinning rod and a 2500 Ci4 but it is a little too overpowered for some of these lighter applications. Thinking of getting either the 7' ML Fast or the 6'9" ML XFast Avid with a Stradic Ci4 1000 and 15# PP. Anyone have experience with either of these and how they balance with the 1000 size Ci4? I'd like to hear any other suggestions for similar setups in the $400ish range so I can include them in my research.

My setup for creek fishing is a falcon bucoo 6'6" medium-moderate with a abu garcia cardinal stx20. It tosses the light baits well and is sensitive. From what I hear the st croix medium light fishes like a medium.

Regarding the 1000 size stradic they  balance well with most rods under 7'. I used one with a 7' 6" rod and it's balance was pretty bad.

4-6 pond line and a light action rod, guess the brand really just comes to your personal ideas

7' ML Avid X is a really good rod that will fit the bill. I got mine to throw small hair jigs with light wire hooks and to fish small drop shot rigs and it is fantastic is it doesn't overpower the small fish but has the backbone to wrestle a big fish should you hook into something big. I do have to mention that I only use it with 6lb line and not around much cover, basically sparse weeds or near docks with open water around them. I think the Avid X is a little more responsive than the regular Avid but the micro guides with a better reel seat probably have a lot to do with the feel but that rod would be perfect for your situation, at least I think so.

@smalljaw67 Good info. I do really like the Avid X I have currently and would like another. I will be fishing similar open waters. Out of curiosity, what reel are you using?