How to read a sonar

Guest the_mud_man

Guest the_mud_man

I just boutght my first Sonar and started to try to use it.Its a Fish Eagle 128 Portable.Heaven forbid I read these instrutions What I want to know is how do you tell whcih fish you see on the graph are under the boat or in a different place within the cone? I can not figure it out.

Guest the_mud_man

thanks mudpuppy Im working next 2 days but Ill get to it  I really appriciate the help you fellas extend to the newer guys!

This is a link from the article section it might help you out.  There are a few more at the bottom of the page.

http://bassresource.com/fishing/depthfinders.html

Did you read that article? How many people can do what that guy can do? Not only can he see the baitfish and bass on his $1,000 depthfinder screen, he can tell you the difference between catfish, striper and any other fish that's down there.

My $100+ depthfinder only tells me the depth and if there's any grass.    :D

Guest the_mud_man

No I couldnt get to it We have been crazy at work So ill get to it one the week end. My 79+ fishfinder so far helps me with water temp and somewhat what the bottom looks like I still have no clue as to whats uner the boat directly and whats showing up that in that cone the manufacturer talks about.It says the instuctions were written for a 14 year old to understand Im 54 so Ill have to get my 14 year old nephew to explain it to me ;D

Guest the_mud_man

i GOT TO START DIGGING INTO THE ARTICLES ON THE SIE AND WENT RIGHT TO THE SONAR area.

i CANT WAIT TO GET ON THE LAKE THIS WEEK AND TRY WHAT WAS SUGGESTED abot the cone angle and how to tell whats underneath the boat. The article was a big hel[p b/c iI always left the gain and spped on auto and now I have some idea how and why to adjust i manually. Aas to the other article that gut seems to be able to count the peebles on the bottom! I just want to know what the bottom is and where the fish are in relation to breaks in the bottom and in the weeds.Thankyou for the help fellas,this site is great