Sign in to follow this  
snake95

Recommended Setup for Jetty Fishing New England

Headed up to Mass. later this summer and will be fishing from shore.  Last year, I discovered a jetty I can cast off of and had a bit of luck with bluefish.

The setups available at the place I'm staying are an inexpensive but cumbersome surf spinning rod, and a whippy medium spinning rod.  Neither were super for casting.

I will be fishing mainly with lures.  Last year I threw saltwater poppers and caught bluefish, and Creek Chub Striper Strkes - I think I actually had a striper strike but failed at landing.  It helped to really chuck the baits to get out to the bluefish boiling on surface.

Obviously, I'm a bass fisherman most of the time, and like to walk, pop, and swim all kinds of bass lures.   I'm happy to spring for an inexpensive new rod/reel combo to use for a week up there, and then abandon the rod until I return next year, within say $100-200.

Looking for general advice on the following:

1.  Thinking of trying an inshore baitcaster since I'd feel at home with that and could use the reel elsewhere. Any experience with trying to fish topwaters for this application?  Specifically, does casting distance pose a problem for inshore/surf fishing?

2.   Experience casting and working topwaters and plugs with surfcasting spinning gear.  Suggested setups?

I use an Daiwa inshore casting reel paired with a 8' 6" Cabela's salmon rod. Im usually the only soul on the beach with a casting outfit, but I like it and I have success. The key for casting distance is the right combination of lure weight and rod load. Having the baitcaster adjusted right to.   

• Like 1