Sign in to follow this  
Toallhisdoom

Steering cable replacement?

So ever since I bought my boat last year the steering is really hard. So I know the cables are junk I just have no idea what I need.

It's a 1987 skeeter starfire 175-D with a johnson gt 150 motor. It has dual cables that go up to weird looking pulleys? under the steering wheel.

Anyone know if there's a kit I can buy and have any advice on changing these out?? I have a forklift but need to know where to lift engine from.

Thanks!

What you describe for steering sounds like something I haven't seen so can't tell you anything about it.  The Teleflex rack and pinion system is the much more common.

Yes, there are complete systems you can get to replace it.  Might even be a good time to look into upgrading to hydraulic steering.

To lift the motor, you use a lifting ring bolted on top of the flywheel.  I just make my own with a large eyebolt and steel plate drilled to match the three holes in the flywheel.  Don't use too long of bolts to bolt it on or you can screw them into the stator, that would ruin your day.

I was thinking (that gets dangerous)  if that's an open cable systems, which sounds like what you are describing, you may have an issue with the transom mount on the motor, or a helm that's needs some attention.   I ran an open cable system on my race boat back in the 70's and there was nothing that could bind it up like the enclosed cable systems.   I would disconnect it from the motor and make sure the motor pivots freely first, just be sure to use bungee cords or something to keep tension on them so they don't unspool or get out of whack on that drum unit.  That could be like getting a backlash out of a baitcaster is that happens. 

The helm being tight or some of the rollers would be my next check. 

Now, if those cables go into an outer housing, then it's probably they are rusted and binding inside the outer housing and need replacing.

Go with the hydraulic steering!

I had cable steering on my Triton TR-185 with a 150 Merc XR6.  I installed a seastar pro hydraulic steering system on it last week.  Sure it is expensive, but it is sure worth it to me.  

I use my boat a lot and it was becoming aggravating messing with hard steering cables at a busy boat launch.