Burros

hooking up on the stick bait

We are all aware that an O ring can help  your stick baits last longer for wacky rigging but does it also help with hook up ratio ? The conventional perpendicular hook threw the middle of the bait or the side ways hook threw the O ring parallel, does it make any difference when hooking up is one way better than the other?

When I used to throw a wacky rig, which I assume you're asking about, I always used a O ring with a circle hook and rarely had a problem hooking up.  

Mike 

• Like 1

i prefer the heat shrink tube method for prolonging the life and being able to hook the bait perpendicular vs parallel  

I seem to get a better hookup ratio with the hook oriented perpendicular to the bait, so I use two O-rings and cross them over each other like an "x" to get the best of both worlds (for me).

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, NorcalBassin said:

I seem to get a better hookup ratio with the hook oriented perpendicular to the bait, so I use two O-rings and cross them over each other like an "x" to get the best of both worlds (for me).

I do the same. I've lost too many senkos after 1 fish without using the o rings. They come up and head shake and the senko goes flying. Not so much an issue with the o rings.

LC

31 minutes ago, Mike L said:

When I used to throw a wacky rig, which I assume you're asking about, I always used a O ring with a circle hook and rarely had a problem hooking up.  

Mike 

I'm curious as to why you don't throw a wacky rig anymore?

In the lakes I fish down here, I prefer to use presentations that cover more water. Wacky rigging is a slow, methodical, time consuming way to fish. Granted it will catch fish, but there are others that I prefer that are just as, if not more effective for me. 

Mike 

6 hours ago, NorcalBassin said:

I do the same thing, i read an article that said the hook up ratio when the hook is parallel to the bait is a lot less than when its perpendicular. the bait sort of "hides" the hook when its parallel to it. 

• Like 1