mojojojo

Oakley Mainlink Prizm deep/shallow water sunglasses

There was a thread about polarized sunglasses that someone posted about these Oakley polarized sunglasses and Im interested in them.

They have them on Amazon and Ebay for around $150 and Id like to grab a pair. I used to say Id never spend that kind of money on shades but Im tired of constantly buying cheap sunglasses. I spend $150-$200 no problem on a rod that I use maybe once a week if Im lucky, so why wouldn't I spend the same for something that Ill be using every single day.

Anyhow Im wondering which ones would be better for me. I live in the desert in AZ so most all days are very bright/sunny. Im looking at the deep water and shallow water version of Oakleys.

Which ones would be better for bright sunny days and peering into water? The lake I fish is very clear. On a calm no wind day, you can see about 30' down. But on the north end of the lake its stained water, maybe 1-2' visibility

• Like 1

Go to a store and try both out before you buy, and compare to other glasses.  A lot of guys here will tell you Costa, but I own versions of both and prefer Oakleys... Once you try them on and have your preference, buy the glasses from Ebay, there are reputable sellers that sell for 25-50% off from what the Mall stores or BPS sells them for. Just pay attention to feedback scores.

As for your particular conditions, I would say it sounds like the Oakly Prizm Deep Water Blue would be of most benefit to you. But whichever color you go, I would go Oakley over Costa. Oakley has a better variety of styles (though this is subjective).  Also my Oakley's stay on my head a lot easier, my Costas slip. The Oakley's are lighter generally, my Costas weigh down on the bridge of my nose after just an hour drive.  Also, if you buy the Oakley Shallow Prizms and find you need the Deep Blue, you can buy just the other lenses and pop them in/out with ease on many Oakley Models (Half Jackets or Flak Jackets). 

I viewed the Oakley Prizm Shallow and Deep this spring SideXside with Costa Blue Mirror and Green Mirror polarized (both were the 580Glass).  The Costa Blue and the Oakley Prizm Blue were no different to my eyes whatsoever. The Costa Green and the Oakley Shallow were similar, with the Costas having a bit more amber and more of a color contrast which wound up being kind of irritating to my eyes after a few minutes.

thanks for reply. I could go try them at a store if I can find one that has them but that won't really tell me how they perform outside on the water.

I'll just buy the deep water version.

the deep water has a blue tint and the shallow has a green?

I have somewhat of a wide face and a lot of sunglasses are to small. how would you describe the size of them?

Deep water is blue, shallow has more of a copper/amber. Deep water is a bit darker tint too, which it sounds like you need in the bright sun of AZ.

I wouldnt get MAINLINK for fishing those are more of a "style" frame. Look at TURBINE ROTOR those wrap more around your eyes or regular TURBINES also BATWOLF even JAWBREAKERS.

Smith chromapop > Oakley prism

Nobody talks about Smiths for fishing and I have no idea why.  They're amazing.  Killer optics and fantastic prices.  

1 hour ago, Master Bait'r said:

Smith chromapop > Oakley prism

Nobody talks about Smiths for fishing and I have no idea why.  They're amazing.  Killer optics and fantastic prices.  

Well for 40 miles around me there are like 50+ places that sell oakley costa but no smith dealers, that could be one reason. Its difficult enough finding a  pair that fits well even with the selection around me. Going to be very unlikely that I purchase glasses without trying on first. Heck even 3-4 pairs of the same model can all fit differently.

7 hours ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

Well for 40 miles around me there are like 50+ places that sell oakley costa but no smith dealers, that could be one reason. Its difficult enough finding a  pair that fits well even with the selection around me. Going to be very unlikely that I purchase glasses without trying on first. Heck even 3-4 pairs of the same model can all fit differently.

It's true.  I just wanted to throw that out there, I really enjoy my Smiths and they were very reasonably priced.  

On June 8, 2016 at 7:41 PM, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

I wouldnt get MAINLINK for fishing those are more of a "style" frame. Look at TURBINE ROTOR those wrap more around your eyes or regular TURBINES also BATWOLF even JAWBREAKERS.

Yes... I didn't know Mainlink was a frame style, I thought it just meant the kind of polarized glasses lol.

Now that Ive seen the models I definitely prefer the Turbine Rotor. I just have to decide either the deep or shallow water...dont know which one would be best, or if it even makes much a difference between the two

• Like 1

Tagging for updates because I'm struggling with the same decision lol

LC

18 hours ago, mojojojo said:

Yes... I didn't know Mainlink was a frame style, I thought it just meant the kind of polarized glasses lol.

Now that Ive seen the models I definitely prefer the Turbine Rotor. I just have to decide either the deep or shallow water...dont know which one would be best, or if it even makes much a difference between the two

The Turbines Rotors are some really good looking glasses.  The lenses should not be difficult to swap out if you want multiple options.

I have a pair of oakley valves with the prizm lenses and i love them they cost me about 250 off the matco tool truck that comes by my work 

• Like 1