Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Recently I have purchased two new reels. 

1. Shimano curado 201 7.3.1

2. Daiwa tatula type r 100 6.3.1

so far I have only fished the shimano. I have 60lb braid on it paired with a 7'6" heavy daiwa tatula rod. 

I was out at my local ranch and home today expecting to get another curado because in the last two weeks I've fished the curado it is amazing. 

BUT... A lot of people told me when I was considering buying a curado to check out the tatula. So when I got there I made sure to put both in my hands. The curado seemed to palm better but the tatula is nice and light. Also appealing to the eye. 

Myself and the sales associate started comparing pricing online and the curado at the store and on tackle warehouse was 179$

the tatula on the other hand was 199$ on tackle warehouse and 169$ in the store. So wanting to try the tatula so bad and having it be a better deal I bought it. 

I can't wait to get on the water and fish it to compare it against the shimano which I think is an amazing reel. I got the tatula for my cranking stick, so the applications are a lot different but I'm looking for feel, cast ability and all around performance. I know a lot of people are stuck between choosing either of these reels so I figured I'd give my full review once I have been able to fish the tatula. 

Thanks and stay tuned guys!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to hear about this tatula chatter everywhere recently, keep us updated! I am considering one myself :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nameiztaken said:

I want to hear about this tatula chatter everywhere recently, keep us updated! I am considering one myself :P

I'm going fishing tomorrow so I'll have my first update tomorrow. Than another, after fishing it for a week or two!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both those reels myself, in those very gear ratios actually lol. They are both fantastic reels. I'm not entirely sure which I would prefer to be completely honest, I like them both so much. The Curado might have a tiny, tiny edge.

Before you spend that much for them look on ebay. I got my Tatula there brand new in box for $115.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tatula will be great!  I own 5 Tatulas (both Tatulas and Tatula Type Rs) they fish great,  The T wing is no gimmick, it reduces friction on the line during the cast giving you a chance for longer casts.  The drag is terrific as well.  I also own one Diawa Exceler which works very well for a little cheaper reel.  All of them performed very well during my week long vacation on Dale Hollow Lake this past spring.  All told we landed over 25 smallmouth most over 4 pounds.  (just got lucky the smallies were just off spawn and were putting on the feed bag back on main lake grass flats.  That lake is amazing! Enjoy the new reels

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great.  Looking forward to a review.  I don't know where Evan got his Type R for $115, but I got my first one a couple years ago for something like $131 and thought that was a great deal.  My Curado is the older 201E7.  A very nice reel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Evan K said:

I have both those reels myself, in those very gear ratios actually lol. They are both fantastic reels. I'm not entirely sure which I would prefer to be completely honest, I like them both so much. The Curado might have a tiny, tiny edge.

Before you spend that much for them look on ebay. I got my Tatula there brand new in box for $115.

You know, I have had terrible experiences with eBay and been ripped off so I just don't trust it. But thank you. And I also love my curado and it was hard not to get another but I am extremely excited to fish this tatula tomorrow!

1 hour ago, fishnkamp said:

The Tatula will be great!  I own 5 Tatulas (both Tatulas and Tatula Type Rs) they fish great,  The T wing is no gimmick, it reduces friction on the line during the cast giving you a chance for longer casts.  The drag is terrific as well.  I also own one Diawa Exceler which works very well for a little cheaper reel.  All of them performed very well during my week long vacation on Dale Hollow Lake this past spring.  All told we landed over 25 smallmouth most over 4 pounds.  (just got lucky the smallies were just off spawn and were putting on the feed bag back on main lake grass flats.  That lake is amazing! Enjoy the new reels

Wow! What a trip! 

43 minutes ago, new2BC4bass said:

Great.  Looking forward to a review.  I don't know where Evan got his Type R for $115, but I got my first one a couple years ago for something like $131 and thought that was a great deal.  My Curado is the older 201E7.  A very nice reel.

I will be doing a full review of the reel. Pro, cons, everything. I am interested to see how they stand up against each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, sadly I already have to go and exchange the tatula. I put it on my rod and tied on a 1/2oz rattle trap to get it ready for tomorrow and had to tighten the spool tension knob to the point that it hurt my thumb and finger so that the lure wouldn't fall as fast as lightening. With the lure dropping so that when it hit it didn't backlash the spoil tension knob is so tight I almost can't even loosen it. 

Kinda dissapointing but I understand things happen. I've actually had this happen to me before. So although I'm bummed, I'm still looking forward to exchanging it and trying it out tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had that happen with a new T

6 hours ago, Kyrazzy7 said:

Well, sadly I already have to go and exchange the tatula. I put it on my rod and tied on a 1/2oz rattle trap to get it ready for tomorrow and had to tighten the spool tension knob to the point that it hurt my thumb and finger so that the lure wouldn't fall as fast as lightening. With the lure dropping so that when it hit it didn't backlash the spoil tension knob is so tight I almost can't even loosen it. 

Kinda dissapointing but I understand things happen. I've actually had this happen to me before. So although I'm bummed, I'm still looking forward to exchanging it and trying it out tomorrow. 

Had that happen with a new T3 1016.  A fellow member told me what he did to fix his that had the same problem.  Remove the cast control cap and pull out the piece of plastic under it, re-install.  He had to do it several times before his spool tension worked.  I only had to do it once.  However, it doesn't inspire confidence in that particular reel.  I was going to return it to TW, but they didn't have any replacement reels left, so I kept the reel.  Had planned on sending it to a professional for repair before the member got in touch with me.  Has worked fine since then.  Hopefully it will continue to do so.

I feel certain you will like the Tatula once you get the next one.  Nice reels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, new2BC4bass said:

Had that happen with a new T

Had that happen with a new T3 1016.  A fellow member told me what he did to fix his that had the same problem.  Remove the cast control cap and pull out the piece of plastic under it, re-install.  He had to do it several times before his spool tension worked.  I only had to do it once.  However, it doesn't inspire confidence in that particular reel.  I was going to return it to TW, but they didn't have any replacement reels left, so I kept the reel.  Had planned on sending it to a professional for repair before the member got in touch with me.  Has worked fine since then.  Hopefully it will continue to do so.

I feel certain you will like the Tatula once you get the next one.  Nice reels.

Yea it is definitely a bummer. But just like everything that is mass produced some issues are gonna occur. And I'd rather not try to fix it myself ha haven't done much with taking reels apart ha so hopefully I can call the place I got it from and have them hold one for me till I can come exchange after work. Than I will go fish and give a full 1 day review and another in a week or so. 

Also just messing with it last night I can tell it's a nice reel that I'm going to enjoy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 1 review!

 

well I went and exchanged the reel today for the exact same one. Spooled it with 15lb fluoro. Took it home. Tied on the same trap and to my dismay I have to really lock down the tension knob to get it to slowing drop the lure! Idk, Maybe this is how this reel is? Maybe it's a bad batch? Idk but its definitely tighter than any other reel I've ever used. It still works, and let me tell you the reel it awesome! But I just don't like how I have to have the tension knob so tight. In going to try what @new2BC4bass suggested and get back to you guys.

on the reels performance though...WOW

it casts a mile long! Even with the brakes on 10! Palms nicely, and is really light. So far I really like it but I want to get this knob deal figured out....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure which plastic part your talking about? @new2BC4bass this is what it looks like when I remove the spool tension knob. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the design of the T3 and Tatula are not the same.  That is not the piece of plastic I had to remove and then reinstall.  Can't guarantee I will get it done tonight, but I will try to check under the caps on both my Tat and T3 reels.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive gotta say also, I've never had this much trouble with any reel, not even a cheap 70$ from Walmart. So far this is very disheartening. almost feel like I shoulda stuck with the curado. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well sadly I took the reel back in and had the guys look at it and it is for sure faulty. So not having much trust in the reel anymore (after having 2! With same issue) I decided just to go with my first gut instinct when I decided to get another reel and got another curado ?? I am disappointed about the type R though. I had high hopes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just have them pull one out and check it right there in store? I mean they just saw 2 identical issues they may have a bad batch they need to send back to save others the grief. I never owned a Tatula but their reputation is way better than that. I cant imagine this is normal. Also I am almost certain Daiwa would want to know. :unsure:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, S. Sass said:

Why not just have them pull one out and check it right there in store? I mean they just saw 2 identical issues they may have a bad batch they need to send back to save others the grief. I never owned a Tatula but their reputation is way better than that. I cant imagine this is normal. Also I am almost certain Daiwa would want to know. :unsure:

Yes the Tatula is a workhorse and is an excellent reel all I can think is that it could be a bad batch. Daiwa makes a excellent product and they stand behind it. Send Daiwa an email and explain the issue they will help. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, S. Sass said:

Why not just have them pull one out and check it right there in store? I mean they just saw 2 identical issues they may have a bad batch they need to send back to save others the grief. I never owned a Tatula but their reputation is way better than that. I cant imagine this is normal. Also I am almost certain Daiwa would want to know. :unsure:

 

1 hour ago, LEWITH said:

Yes the Tatula is a workhorse and is an excellent reel all I can think is that it could be a bad batch. Daiwa makes a excellent product and they stand behind it. Send Daiwa an email and explain the issue they will help. 

The employee and I opened the only 3 remaining in the store and checked them. It was a bad batch. He said his boss would be contacting them. When we pulled them all out the tension knobs were buttoned down. I'm guessing it just cause them to lock up that way. They instantly took displays out and put the boxes aside so no one will have to go through that again

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×