my boat is in need of a transom.  I thought I would get   more time out of it but it's time.  The boat started to list starboard when I slowed down last night so I think I am getting some flex somewhere.  I'm going to pull out the floor boards and have a look at the stringers while I'm at it.  I suppose at this point I may take the time to make the front deck a little higher and longer too.  

Before I buy my plywood to get going on this project it occurred to me there may be a better option in today's market.  Are there any composites out there that would be lighter and less prone to water damage?  I did a quick google search but nothing jumped out at me.  

I buy and rebuild and sell boats for a hobby.  I just replaced and entire floor on a 20 ft Wellcraft. I looked around for an alternate solution to the floor and did not find one.  I used 3/4 inch plywood but did not get the standard or marine I went with a Hardwood instead.  It was the best wood I could get.  I sealed it on the bottom before putting it in and of course fiberglass and gelcoat on the top, it pretty much should last forever.  If you have leaks now make sure that foam is dry.  I could not get this one dry so I had to pull every bit of it out and replace.  That is one hell of a job getting that stuff out so good luck.  Also I have never changed out a transom and I hear it is one tough job so good luck with that.  

I looked at coosa board but it's way to expensive.  Fortunately this transom is small and mostly exposed to the inside.  My plan is 5 ply plywood and cloth and expoxy to seal it in.  My neighbor restores old boats once in awhile so I will have his guidance if needed.