Sign in to follow this  
Brett's_daddy

Lowrance Lake Insight Pro v14?

I just installed a Lowarnce elite 4 Chirp in my boat and it came with the Lake Insight Pro v14 mapping software. Upon looking at the included ponds/lakes for my State (Vermont) about 90% of them are listed as "shoreline only" with about half-dozen "standard definition" and only 1 "HD"...well, shoreline only means no contours, is there an update available that would perhaps include some more "standard definition (3 - 10ft. contours)" of my local ponds/lakes? If not this mapping software isn't going to do me a whole lot of good :(. Is Navionics Plus any better you think? Maybe I should sell the Lake Insight Pro v14 chip and buy a Navionics Plus chip (my Lowrance is compatible with both it says)?

You don't have to guess what maps Navionics has, you can view the current maps on their website's Web App. 

There are two map layers. One is Navionics data called Nautical Charts. The other is HD contours that are created using unit owner's sonar logs--that is called Sonar Charts.

You cannot purchase Sonar Charts, that is FREE to download to a Navionics+ or Navionics Hotmaps Platinum regional card. You pick the waters you want to download.

When you zoom in to about 1000' click on the circle at the lower left of the panel to change the map layers.

Grey is Navionics data and Blue is Sonar Charts.

So it sounds like Navionic's has it hands down over Lake Insight Pro.

Well, I can find the waters I need on the navionics web app so I assume that means they would be on the navionics plus map software...correct?

It will be when updated if not when purchased. You can have the exact same maps as the Web App.

Did you read the PM I sent you? It has the details.