Luna2406

New adventure in Tidewater Va?

Looking to bass fish a river or creek with a lot of timber or structure or overhanging brush etc. Any ideas near Suffolk/Hampton/Newport News area? I fish out of a kayak so I don't need a boat ramp. Just want a change of scenery from the popular lakes. Thanks! 

I've thought of trying the blackwater river near Suffolk. I want something like that

Nottoway River out of Franklin.

Put in at the ramp on the NC side.

Go up river.

Went ahead and put in at blackwater landing early Friday morning. As soon as I got there I noticed almost no activity on top of the water. I only caught one bass, with a few bumps that felt like bluegill. Tried Lilypads, cypress trees, lay downs, etc.  River just seemed dead, not sure what was going on. Don't think I'll be making that hour drive again...even tho I did enjoy the change of scenery and the back road driving :) 

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:08 PM, Luna2406 said:

Went ahead and put in at blackwater landing early Friday morning. As soon as I got there I noticed almost no activity on top of the water. I only caught one bass, with a few bumps that felt like bluegill. Tried Lilypads, cypress trees, lay downs, etc.  River just seemed dead, not sure what was going on. Don't think I'll be making that hour drive again...even tho I did enjoy the change of scenery and the back road driving :) 

That has been my experience every time at that river.  I know it's loaded, I've seen the results.  It's just that every time I have gone (only fished it during tournaments) the fishing has been horrible for everyone.  As you noted, at least you had a nice change of scenery.