Omahabass

Anyone in omaha?!

Just started bass fishing this year in Omaha. So far I've only fished from the bank, and I've had okay luck. Any advice on colors, tackle etc?? I'm from California so most of my fishing experience has been from piers and docks in harbors, where i use squid and wait for them to bite. I'm new to the actual art of finding these fish. Any comments, tips, (extra seat on a boat!!!) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot. 

I'm originally from Omaha and use to fish a lot of the metro lakes fairly regularly-

My personal favorites are Prairie View, Walnut Creek, and Zorinsky. Of those three, I think Prairie View and Zorinsky have reasonable shore access and a great lakes for fishing weed edges with a weightless or split shot senko rig (I usually prefer green pumpkin). Zorinsky is still rebounding from being redone, but I have seen some decent fish caught out of there. Two Rivers has very good shore access, but it has been a while since I've caught any bass of size out there. In all these lakes try to concentrate on "transition" areas (rock jetties giving way to weeds, points where coves meet the main lake, where weeds meet a fallen tree, etc).

I would also take a look at float tube fishing and hitting some of the retention (silt) ponds around the metro lakes, but even the main lakes in the area are reasonable to float tube.

If you are looking for more "sit and wait" style fishing the above lakes (and most area lakes) also have terrific catfishing for both size and numbers. I usually do chicken livers fished with as little weight as possible just out from the weedlines.

I'd also recommend googling the nfga fishing forum, there is a great knowledge base from folks local to the area.

Good Luck!

-Jared

• Like 1

I'd head to Wanahoo; not as many bites but quality fish.   A boat would be a big advantage there though.

Wanahoo outside of Wahoo, Ne has a lot of 3-5 lb bass in it. There seems to be some decent spots to shore fish there as well. As far as color, a lot of the lakes in the Omaha and Lincoln areas tend to be pretty murky. Dark colored soft plastics and bright colored moving baits seem to work well. Also, don't over look green pumpkin.

Omaha here.  Been bank fishing over at Youngman (192nd and Dodge), Zorinsky, Whitehawk, Wanhoo, and a few small farm ponds in West O. I have most of my luck on small Boo-Yah Spinner-baits (pond magic) and Zoom Super Flukes. My fishing buddy has done very well with a black & blue football head jig with trailer, soft body frog, and Zara Spook.  I have been hearing real good things about Prairie Queen and Walnut Creek.  Now that I have a little pond boat, may give those a try next.  Good luck...

The only lake I've fished in Omaha is Zorinsky and that was 7 or 8 years ago. I caught one small walleye and that was it. It looked fishy as hell, but nothing doing for me. 

I got my two best fish in the d**n of Zorinsky this year