Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tcbass

Best glue to fix vinyl boat seat trim?

Recommended Posts

I started a thread about my boat seat coming apart. For some reason I couldn't add pics. 

At the time I thought that the problem was the boat seat coming apart, upon further inspection I determined that it's actually the seats trim that is coming off, not the seat itself, which is good. This may also make it harder to re-attach. So I believe some type of glue would be better than staples in this point. Someone recommended Gorilla Glue. Just seeing if there are any other glues out there that you've had experience with and know works. 

 

Best glue to fix vinyl boat seat trim?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That piece of trim is stapled on, not glued and is there to hide the staples holding the seat covers one.

That piece is made by doing a double fold inward on a strip of vinyl so the ends touch in the middle.  They spread it open with the nose of the staple gun and staple it on.  When you take the staple gun out, the ends come back together hiding everything.  

That piece has either split or the staples have pulled through.  If the staples just pulled through, you may have good spots in it you can shoot another staple into, if it has split, another piece of trim would need to be made, and finding vinyl like it might be kinda tough. 

I have serious doubts about much of any kind of glue will hold it. 

One thing you might be able to do is find you some plastic banding strap.  Trim in down so it will just go inside the grove that piece of trim has for the staples.  Then staple through the banding and that will provide a reinforcement for the damaged trim piece.  Just make sure you get it so the ends fold back together to hide everything.       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Way2slow said:

That piece of trim is stapled on, not glued and is there to hide the staples holding the seat covers one.

That piece is made by doing a double fold inward on a strip of vinyl so the ends touch in the middle.  They spread it open with the nose of the staple gun and staple it on.  When you take the staple gun out, the ends come back together hiding everything.  

That piece has either split or the staples have pulled through.  If the staples just pulled through, you may have good spots in it you can shoot another staple into, if it has split, another piece of trim would need to be made, and finding vinyl like it might be kinda tough. 

I have serious doubts about much of any kind of glue will hold it. 

One thing you might be able to do is find you some plastic banding strap.  Trim in down so it will just go inside the grove that piece of trim has for the staples.  Then staple through the banding and that will provide a reinforcement for the damaged trim piece.  Just make sure you get it so the ends fold back together to hide everything.       

 

Thx. I saw that. It seems that the vinyl split, so re-stapling would be almost impossible. 

I see how you staple the inside and the flap then comes over to cover the staples. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked and can't find it, but I used the have a point of contact and the name of the company that made the seats for Stratos.  I replaced the pedestal seats in my boat with some for a 201 I bought for almost nothing from them when they were getting rid of some seconds with minor flaws.  They also gave me five yards of matching vinyl and enough of that trim to cover my boat seats so they would match. 

Thought if I could find it, you might be able to get some of that trim from them, but so far, no such luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Way2slow said:

I looked and can't find it, but I used the have a point of contact and the name of the company that made the seats for Stratos.  I replaced the pedestal seats in my boat with some for a 201 I bought for almost nothing from them when they were getting rid of some seconds with minor flaws.  They also gave me five yards of matching vinyl and enough of that trim to cover my boat seats so they would match. 

Thought if I could find it, you might be able to get some of that trim from them, but so far, no such luck.

 

O. Thx. That would have been cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A local marine upholstery place could probably repair it for you reasonably. Do you ever fish 3 people?  I have removed the middle seat out of my last two boats. i only fish two people and dislike walking on the seats. Yours fold up which is nice but for me I like that middle wide open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

A local marine upholstery place could probably repair it for you reasonably. Do you ever fish 3 people?  I have removed the middle seat out of my last two boats. i only fish two people and dislike walking on the seats. Yours fold up which is nice but for me I like that middle wide open.

 

I'd have to see if I could find one of those. I think I'll try to fix it myself and take it in as a last resort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go you fish 3 people on the boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fishnkamp said:

Go you fish 3 people on the boat?

 

 

Yes. Not always, but enough where I wouldn't want to take out the seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do you live, just the general area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry I know a bunch of dealers in 8 states but not one in your area. Give a boat dealer near you and see if they know a place to get seats and custom boat covers made. Often they " Know a guy!" LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

sorry I know a bunch of dealers in 8 states but not one in your area. Give a boat dealer near you and see if they know a place to get seats and custom boat covers made. Often they " Know a guy!" LOL

 

Thx. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×