Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hogsticker

ATAK 120 Question

Recommended Posts

Wilderness systems is releasing the new Radar series which indeed accepts both the motor drive and pedal drive. They are also releasing the new ATAK 120. I know this will accept the motor drive, but it's unclear if it will accept the pedal drive. I can't find any information confirming it anyways. Does anyone know for certain? Thx 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither the ATAK 140 or the ATAK 120 will accept the pedal drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to hear the motivation for not allowing the pedal drive in the ATAK. Could it be weight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at the deck of the radar and yo can see that the flex pod and pedal drive are in separate locations.  The flex pod seems to be in the same spot with the pedal drive closer to the seat.  This allows you to have your electronics and pedal drive.  I am guessing the structural aspects of the flex pod would not allow for pedal drive compatibility.  

And as far as weight goes, the Radar is not a light boat by any means either 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jhc1 said:

I'd love to hear the motivation for not allowing the pedal drive in the ATAK. Could it be weight?

I am just guessing but I suspect they found out that the slot where the pedal drive inserts into the kayak needs to be as structurally sound as possible. Even more so than the slot on the ATAK where the Helix Motor Drive can be installed. A human constantly applying torque on those pedals could cause some failures if that area is not properly designed.

One video promo they put out months ago did kind of paint the impression that the pedals would fit the ATAK. Wildy is probably regretting that video now as some people felt they had been misled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Turtle135 said:

I am just guessing but I suspect they found out that the slot where the pedal drive inserts into the kayak needs to be as structurally sound as possible. Even more so than the slot on the ATAK where the Helix Motor Drive can be installed. A human constantly applying torque on those pedals could cause some failures if that area is not properly designed.

One video promo they put out months ago did kind of paint the impression that the pedals would fit the ATAK. Wildy is probably regretting that video now as some people felt they had been misled. 

Ah, so it's possible that the ATAK isn't as robust in that area as the Radar. Fair enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, flyfisher said:

Look at the deck of the radar and yo can see that the flex pod and pedal drive are in separate locations.  The flex pod seems to be in the same spot with the pedal drive closer to the seat.  This allows you to have your electronics and pedal drive.  I am guessing the structural aspects of the flex pod would not allow for pedal drive compatibility.  

And as far as weight goes, the Radar is not a light boat by any means either 

 

That's what stemmed my question. The Atak 120 only weighs 70 pounds, where the Radar is about 15 pounds heavier. I'll wait to see what transpires regarding pedal kayak options. The Pescador Pilot is the only other one I know of at this time. I wonder if anyone will get around to making a pedal drive canoe, if it's feasible or if there's a market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Native makes a pedal drive hybrid which is probably as close as you will get.  And pretty much every major brand makes a pedal drive now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flyfisher said:

Native makes a pedal drive hybrid which is probably as close as you will get.  And pretty much every major brand makes a pedal drive now.

I thought that was discontinued and NuCanoe has no pedal drive as of yet. I don't think Jackson does either. 

I take that back. Looks like Jackson has a Coosa FD in the works - TBD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×