Sign in to follow this  
CybrSlydr

Wolf Run Lake, 8/21/2016

Brother and I took a trip out to Wolf Run State Park over near Belle Valley this morning to see if we could improve our luck in the fish-catching department.

We arrived at the park around 5:30 and parked in one of the camping spots.  We went down to the shore and saw a small trail to the left/right and checked both directions.  Unfortunately, neither direction was usable as there was too much overhead tree coverage.  Quite disappointing.  We also couldn't walk from the point down the shore as there was no path and it was a bit thick to just hoof it - not to mention the whole shore had plenty of overhead trees.

So we ended up going over by the dam.  The whole area was quite nice and well kept - freshly mowed and good access.

29140322305_25b7030702_h.jpg

We also fished over by the trees - we tried our topwater, the shallow, medium and deep diving cranks, the Zoom swimbaits and my white spinner - not a single bite all day.  Even lost the spinner as it hooked on something down below

The real ***** was we would see fish breaching the surface near where we were fishing - but none of the scoundrels would take our bait either straight off the land or over under the trees.  The weather was beautiful too - overcast, cool and windy with occasional rain showers.

29140319285_abc4ab95e6_h.jpg

29062834321_e9eb66ffd8_h.jpg

We stayed until around 1130. So getting there at 530, we fished for around 6 hours with nothing to show for it.  Again.

About the most positive thing we could say about this trip is I got plenty of practice tying a Palomar knot.

Dang!  I've been waiting for your post on how you did, and I'm totally bummed.  Sorry you only had access by the dam, that place looks like it's at max capacity with the water going all the way up to the trees!  I'm not sure what other advice I could give.  Everything you listed that you used looks like power/reaction techniques.  Did you or your brother try any slower/finesse presentations?  PM me your address and I'll send over a couple of dropshot rigs with plastics...I'm kind of angry you didn't catch anything and if you don't catch anything on a dropshot I give up!

No worries man! :).

We tried slow retrieves with the Super Fluke and spinners - let them sink until line went slack and then slowly retrieved/danced them.

Don't beat yourself up - it was great advice, the layout just didn't allow for exploitation.

A couple other people came to fish while we were there but they stayed on the dam wall and used a bobber. From what we could see, they didn't catch anything either, so it wasn't his us with no success.

Take a spinning rod, wacky hooks, some yamamoto senkos, and nothing else!

40 minutes ago, everythingthatswims said:

Take a spinning rod, wacky hooks, some yamamoto senkos, and nothing else!

You mean like this?

weightless-wacky-rigged-senko.jpg?resize

1 hour ago, CybrSlydr said:

You mean like this?

weightless-wacky-rigged-senko.jpg?resize

Yes, I tend to not use the o-rings because of the way the hook is positioned for the hook set. Another recommendation I have is to buy the Gamakatsu weedless finesse wide gap hooks, it's shocking how well they will come through brush, logs, and rock. 1/0 is my favorite size for the standard 5" senko. Any green or brown color will work. Make sure to let it fall on a slack line.

One way to use O-rings and get the same presentation as if not using an O-ring is to use two of them and "cross" them and place the hook under where they cross, it'll keep the hook facing the right direction so the action stays symmetrical -

Schauf_SenkoSecrets_ORingX.jpg

Also, dropshot x100, I'm going to wait for your next report and if you get skunked again I'm going to send you a pack of my secret weapon.  Just make sure you have a couple of ML/M-F/XF spinning rods with 8-20lb braid set up (15 lb braid would be ideal).

At the moment, all I have is the one rod (Blackout 6.5' Medium rod) and that won't change anytime soon - I'm pretty much a one-rod/reel guy for the forseeable future.  I currently have 15lb braid on it (low-vis green).

Maybe later when I get some cash I can think about another rod/reel combo.

What size O-rings for the Senkos?  Also, what color for the clear water we've got?

EDIT:  Also, I'm seeing various dropshot techniques - do you suggest weighted or weightless?  Finally - can those super flukes be dropshot?

Is the *** a spinning or casting setup?  You should be able to fish a dropshot with that whichever setup you have.

Senko O-Rings are pretty much one-size for the a standard 5" senko.  I have one of those wacky rigging tools that slide the O-ring onto the senko as well, otherwise you really have to stretch and compromise the integrity of the senko when you slide on an O-ring (like on a Yamamoto a lot of the sand/salt will rub out).

Always use a weight when dropshotting, otherwise you're basically just fly-lining a plastic  You can dropshot flukes but my preference is something more supple so you really can get the tail to move with the current or with a slight twitch.

It's a spinning rod. 

I'm thinking if I'm going to dropshot then the nose hook would be a good idea, especially if I'm using a swimbait as that will allow maximum natural motion.

Thanks again folks.  :)  I'll be heading out tomorrow to fish again (I volunteered to grab a lake sample for my biology class - so if I"m there, I might as well fish again :D ) with my brother.

1 hour ago, CybrSlydr said:

It's a spinning rod. 

I'm thinking if I'm going to dropshot then the nose hook would be a good idea, especially if I'm using a swimbait as that will allow maximum natural motion.

Thanks again folks.  :)  I'll be heading out tomorrow to fish again (I volunteered to grab a lake sample for my biology class - so if I"m there, I might as well fish again :D ) with my brother.

Last thing, a leader is incredibly important when using a spinning rod with braid. I would start with 10lb mono or fluoro.

Just now, everythingthatswims said:

Last thing, a leader is incredibly important when using a spinning rod with braid. I would start with 10lb mono or fluoro.

I recently bought some 100yd SpiderWire 10lb flouro (it was on sale and I didn't have any flouro) and was planning on putting it on the reel.  Rather than mess with leaders and the like, I'll just use it all on the reel.

1 minute ago, CybrSlydr said:

I recently bought some 100yd SpiderWire 10lb flouro (it was on sale and I didn't have any flouro) and was planning on putting it on the reel.  Rather than mess with leaders and the like, I'll just use it all on the reel.

It will last you a whole lot longer if you use leaders. And I bet you can get 3 years out of the spool of braid. Fluoro is a mess on spinning reels too

I dunno - the amount I'm cutting off the braid to tie Palomar knots around 3.5" lures means I'll cut it too short before it wears out!  lol

10lb mono is actually probably too stiff for a spinning reel - it will spring off like a slinky and you'll get frustrated.  8lb is about the heaviest I would go for a spinning reel.  I had the same problem with cutting off braid to tie palomar knots but what I do now instead is use a swivel for my dedicated drop shot combs, or, use a speed clip (Normal Speed Clip, Tactical Angler Power Clip, etc) and attach my hardbaits directly to the clip or will attach a pre-rigged dropshot rig with a Spro Power Swivel.  Just hook up the speed clip to the Power Swivel and you're good to go.  Rarely have to retie the braid except after some use and there's fraying where you know the braid has been compromised.

• Like 1