Josh Smith

Need a Particular Reel Type/Size

Hello,

My wife and I went fishing yesterday, and I introduced her to topwater frogs and spinnerbaits.  She can't recall if she's ever used artificials successfully before.

I sat back and watched her do some fishing.  It's clear that she needs a slightly different setup, at least for frogs.

I fixed up and gave her an '80s Shimano Bantam 100.  At the time she was used to a Zebco 33 and its gear ratio -- which is pretty slow.  OK for bait fishing, but not so much for hollow body frog fishing.

She's a short girl, about 5' even. 

I'm looking for a reel that's the size of the old Bantam 10 but with faster gears and, preferably, an anti-reverse bearing.  I prefer a metal frame.

I'm looking to spend about $50 and used is OK. 

Because I prefer round Ambassadeur reels, I'm not too familiar with what's out there as far as small, low-profile baitcasters go.

Any help?

Regards,

Josh

Are you looking for a baitcaster or spincast?

Zebco has a nicer reel called the omega I believe with faster brass gears and several bearings. It might be a little more than 50 but is top of the line as far as spincasting.

Baitcasting would be much better imo but not 100% necessary. If bait casting I'd try to find the h20 mettle on sale at academy,  or look on ffo-tackle at abu and pfleuger. If you can put a little with it the daiwa exceller for a little over 60 on ebay is a very nice reel. There's an in depth review on tackle tour that shows all the internals and it's well built and should last with brass gears and aluminum frame. It would be my choice for a budget reel. Sometimes it's better to spend a few more bucks and get quality.

look on ebay for a abu black max 1600,or a pro max 1600 they are little round reels that are bulletproof. you can put faster gears in them,great reels have 5 of em. I to like to use round ambassaduer reels. and these reels are perfect for someone with smaller hands also.

Josh, giver her a 4600 and call it done. I also have a Shimano B-100 Mag sitting here I'm not using.

Also didn't see the used part. If used look at shimano citica d's, the exceler I mentioned above (although a lot of what you see at 50 is the older silver reel). Still a good reel though. Bass pro pro qualifier. And a lot of the cabelas reels are actually daiwas. The abus and pfleugers are nice, but the daiwas and shimanos are always my pick because they last. I've owned a few abus too but the abu low profile reels arent built as well as the round ones imo

Don't be a cheap skate.  That will come back to bite you.   Pop for a Curado or Chronarch 50 - maybe the newer Curado 70.  This is you wife's first bait caster we're talking about here.