Sign in to follow this  
iceintheveins

Hitting Sand Hollow/Quail in Utah in Early Oct.

I am hitting Sand Hollow and Quail near St. George in a couple weeks. My guess is the bass will be moving from late summer into early fall areas, in other words back toward the shallows again. If anyone who fishes here a lot would be willing to give me some general locations and tips, not talking GPS waypoints and things like that, I would appreciate it. The lakes won't be turning over yet, will they? If you prefer to use private messaging, that's fine too.

Love those lakes. Have never fished it in the late fall though. Can't really go wrong with a swimbait and fishing the points and rock boulders with a crankbait. Jigs and swimjigs can't hurt whatsoever. A buddy of mine night fishes and frequently catches 7 pounders with a few 8s and a 9 mixed in. Something to think about. I love quail and prefer it over Sandhollow. I think the state record swims in Quail and is well over 10. There are no shad in Quail. So, for me, it seems the fall is like prespawn in these settings. Find the greener grass as well if you hit weed lines. But one thing for sure, the points are always my go to spot and we always caught bigger fish in those areas.

• Like 1

I hit only Sand Hollow, as Quail Creek is really low. Numbers were good but size really wasn't, every thing I caught was .75 to 2.75 pounds, with 90% between 1 and 2.5 pounds. Most of the fish were still holding really deep and were hitting carolina rigs, drop shot, and football jigs, though buzzbaits and spooks did well before sunrise and after sunset. Caught 44 in three days of fishing. Caught four total on spinnerbaits and crankbaits when the wind came up.

• Like 1