Highschoolbassin

Randal chain of lakes, MI

Hey I'm flying up to Michigan to fish for the second week of October and I'll be fishing this chain for two days. Does anybody have any tips for October? If not what are the lakes like?

• Like 1

Is this Randall chain happen to be in Branch County?  If so, the best bass lakes are usually North Lake, Randall, and Craig Lake.  Messenger is the worst lake for bass.  If you can get on the Coldwater and Marble lake chain which is much better for bass fishing, it's in the same area, I would go there instead.  Marble Lake can be very unpredictable but it holds nice size large mouth if you can find them.  Coldwater lake is pretty large and holds plenty of large and small mouth.  You just have to find them. Look for large schools of baitfish and you should be good.  Also, all of these lakes are early morning lakes and during the second week of October, I would look in sandy/gravel/rocky areas that are next to drop offs and weed holes and lines.  Creeks during this time.  And flip docks.  Just remember to find the schools of baitfish first and start just before sunrise, the baitfish and early morning are key.  I would try jerk baits, flukes, swim baits, unpegged weighted t-rigs, and if all else fails; drop shot wacky worms, shaky heads, weightless t-rigs all finesse.  Hope this helps, and good luck!  I have a secret spot on Coldwater lake that always produces...lets see if you find it!  

Yes it is. I'll be fishing out of a seperate boat while my sponsors up there are fishing a tournament on the chain. What's the water like? Assuming I should use light fluorocarbon?

3 minutes ago, Highschoolbassin said:

Yes it is. I'll be fishing out of a seperate boat while my sponsors up there are fishing a tournament on the chain. What's the water like? Assuming I should use light fluorocarbon?

Was just on Randall Lake a couple days ago and the water was stained a nice green color, so I would wait to see what the weather is like and if it's been raining some time the last day or two before you fish it and if the water is clear or not.  This chain is unpredictable and very day to day.  These lakes also get sprayed in certain spots for invasive vegetation which kills the fishing for a couple days.  I feel the bite will be good during the time you will be there, as long as you can find them.  This chain is made of small lakes that get over fished so the bass can be finicky, but like I said, the fall bite should be good.  Too bad you aren't fishing the Coldwater/Marble Lake chain.  The bass fishing is much better there and it's in the same area.

Lake St. Clair...now that's exciting!  Hope you catch some lunkers there.  

lunkers in St Clair? NAH, someone caught them all