Sign in to follow this  
Pope

Lake Chautauqua

Planning trip next Spring of 2017 to fish Lake Chautauqua for Bass.

Have 15ft. Grumman (john style) bass boat with decks.

One guy told me this boat was on small side to fish Lake Chautauqua.  Will be fishing northern end, staying at We Wan Wu cottages.  Another guy said I would be ok.  Would like to know from people who have been on the lake alot.

Also, what would best month in late Spring early summer be for largemouths.  Would early July be ok as far as windy Spring weather starting to die down since I have smaller boat.   Also have heard this very weedy lake, When do weeds really kick in.

Is fall fishing in October good ?  Would not mind checking out Lake before next Spring.

Thx in advance for any info provided, greatly appreciated.

Alan

October is when the smallmouth bite really picks up.  As far as early spring you won't be able to fish as season doesn't officially begin until the third Saturday of June. 

From my personal experience on Chautauqua I would stay on the Southern end of the lake.  The Northern end of the lake seems to get rougher when the wind is blowing.

23 hours ago, 5fishlimit said:

October is when the smallmouth bite really picks up.  As far as early spring you won't be able to fish as season doesn't officially begin until the third Saturday of June. 

From my personal experience on Chautauqua I would stay on the Southern end of the lake.  The Northern end of the lake seems to get rougher when the wind is blowing.

Ok thx much for response.

On September 29, 2016 at 10:23 AM, 5fishlimit said:

As far as early spring you won't be able to fish as season doesn't officially begin until the third Saturday of June. 

Unless Chautauqua has different regulations than the rest of the state, this isn't true. In NY bass season is open year round, but from December 1st until the 3rd Saturday in June it's catch and release only, and artificial lures only.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jar11591 said:

Unless Chautauqua has different regulations than the rest of the state, this isn't true. In NY bass season is open year round, but from December 1st until the 3rd Saturday in June it's catch and release only, and artificial lures only.

Your right Jar, when I talked to operator of We Wu Wan Cottages, he said you can fish earlier it't just that it's catch and release.

my mistake.  I only fish tournaments there, so that is the understanding that I was working off of.