Sign in to follow this  
papajoe222

Storm Kickin Stick

I just started getting into using jointed swimbaits and was wondering about this one.  From what I've been able to research, it appears to be designed more for pike and muskie, but it's available in a 5in. version.  My muskie gear can handle the larger sizes, but I was considering targeting bass with them and that gear would be a bit overpowering.  Anyone used them for targeting bass and if so, what gear did you use?

I bought those up as well as the discontinued swimin' stick! They work well and the fall and spring are the best times for them as they have a tighter action than a Sebile Magic Swimmer. I found that using a slow steady retrieve for a little bit and then popping the rod and throwing slack in the line is a sure fire way to get a follower to bite as the bait will almost do a 180. I use a 7'2" medium power, moderate fast rod, a Fenwick HMG to be exact and it is a little strange because it is a medium but it will handle baits up to 1oz nor problem with 5/8oz and 3/4oz being right in the sweet zone. I have had good success once the water drops into the upper 50s and it will work until the low 50s, and sometimes a straight retrieve while other times working it like a jerkbait is the way to go. If you go on you tube there is a video of Dave Mercer using one also, it was from back when he was sponsored by Rapala. Very underrated swim bait.

• Like 1