Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BrackishBassin

Daiwa Aird Coastal

Recommended Posts

Well, it's not what you asked - but I thought seriously about getting one and went with the considerably more expensive Diawa Coastal TWS instead.  Maybe you are also comparing these two?  In any case, I think I would've went with the Arid if I could go back again.  Well, two Arids, really.

The TWS has been a good reel - except that I sent it back for warranty work with the thumb-bar popping up mid-cast.

The main differences - I think - are:

The TWS has more corrosion resistant bearings

The TWS has the T-wing system - the effectiveness of this is debatable.

The TWS sideplates are a spectacular blue aluminum.

The TWS has great cranking knobs - I'll give it that!

 

In retrospect, none of these are deal-breakers for me personally.  The knobs are really nice.  But you can buy new knobs and handle any time.

I saltwater fish about 3 x 1-week periods every year.  The rest of the time, this is for bass.

Given the great reviews for the Arid, I'd buy the Arid.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 16, 2016 at 3:07 PM, snake95 said:

Well, it's not what you asked - but I thought seriously about getting one and went with the considerably more expensive Diawa Coastal TWS instead.  Maybe you are also comparing these two?  In any case, I think I would've went with the Arid if I could go back again.  Well, two Arids, really.

The TWS has been a good reel - except that I sent it back for warranty work with the thumb-bar popping up mid-cast.

The main differences - I think - are:

The TWS has more corrosion resistant bearings

The TWS has the T-wing system - the effectiveness of this is debatable.

The TWS sideplates are a spectacular blue aluminum.

The TWS has great cranking knobs - I'll give it that!

 

In retrospect, none of these are deal-breakers for me personally.  The knobs are really nice.  But you can buy new knobs and handle any time.

I saltwater fish about 3 x 1-week periods every year.  The rest of the time, this is for bass.

Given the great reviews for the Arid, I'd buy the Arid.  

 

I do appreciate the information! I fish saltwater as much as I fish for bass, so I figured why not try to have a set up that does double duty. I currently fish saltwater with exclusively spinning reels, but thought it might be fun (and to my benefit) to be practicing using a baitcaster while I was doing my saltwater stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrackishBassin said:

I do appreciate the information! I fish saltwater as much as I fish for bass, so I figured why not try to have a set up that does double duty. I currently fish saltwater with exclusively spinning reels, but thought it might be fun (and to my benefit) to be practicing using a baitcaster while I was doing my saltwater stuff. 

No experience with the Daiwa you ask about, but my old Lexa casting
and spinning reels both work well in salt. I also try to buy gear that works
in both fresh/salt, given that we live in the Tidewater area of VA.

That said, I went with Shimano gear, but most Daiwa, I think, works
in both waters as well.

I use spinning most of the time now. Been moving away from casting
gear simply because I prefer it. Wind is no factor, and I have no problems 
in 99% of situations. Down to one baitcaster now, tho one of my sons has
both of my Daiwa Lexas (spinning, casting).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BrackishBassin said:

I figured why not try to have a set up that does double duty. I currently fish saltwater with exclusively spinning reels, but thought it might be fun (and to my benefit) to be practicing using a baitcaster while I was doing my saltwater stuff. 

I had the same thought - though admittedly I don't get to fish saltwater that often.  It may seem strange to recommend a reel you sent back for warranty repair work - but I'm honestly pretty happy with the TWS coastal, and I think the problem was just a fluke.  It helped that Daiwa was so easy to deal with and repaired the issue promptly.  I'm kind of frugal, and would probably go with the Arid if I could do it again. I would guess you can't go too far wrong with either of these Daiwa options. Good luck with it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Darren. said:

No experience with the Daiwa you ask about, but my old Lexa casting
and spinning reels both work well in salt. I also try to buy gear that works
in both fresh/salt, given that we live in the Tidewater area of VA.

That said, I went with Shimano gear, but most Daiwa, I think, works
in both waters as well.

I use spinning most of the time now. Been moving away from casting
gear simply because I prefer it. Wind is no factor, and I have no problems 
in 99% of situations. Down to one baitcaster now, tho one of my sons has
both of my Daiwa Lexas (spinning, casting).

I definitely like my spinning gear (I use mostly Penn reels like the Fierce and Battle), but I have found that I can cast more times with a baitcaster than I can with my spinning gear. That is assuming that I have no backlashes of course. So, in situations where I'm tossing a lure at breaking fish, I think a baitcaster would be to my benefit.

16 hours ago, snake95 said:

I had the same thought - though admittedly I don't get to fish saltwater that often.  It may seem strange to recommend a reel you sent back for warranty repair work - but I'm honestly pretty happy with the TWS coastal, and I think the problem was just a fluke.  It helped that Daiwa was so easy to deal with and repaired the issue promptly.  I'm kind of frugal, and would probably go with the Arid if I could do it again. I would guess you can't go too far wrong with either of these Daiwa options. Good luck with it!

I do like the sound of the TWS Coastal, but I think that's a little out of my price range, if I can't manage to find a used one on eBay or something.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a shimano/daiwa guy myself but I bought an abu garcia orra inshore bc reel for dual duty when I visit my buddy in Florida,  and it's an excellent reel that lists for 149 but on ebay/walmart.com/amazon it's like 110 tops. Can't recommend it enough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×