Sign in to follow this  
BrackishBassin

Daiwa Aird Coastal

Well, it's not what you asked - but I thought seriously about getting one and went with the considerably more expensive Diawa Coastal TWS instead.  Maybe you are also comparing these two?  In any case, I think I would've went with the Arid if I could go back again.  Well, two Arids, really.

The TWS has been a good reel - except that I sent it back for warranty work with the thumb-bar popping up mid-cast.

The main differences - I think - are:

The TWS has more corrosion resistant bearings

The TWS has the T-wing system - the effectiveness of this is debatable.

The TWS sideplates are a spectacular blue aluminum.

The TWS has great cranking knobs - I'll give it that!

In retrospect, none of these are deal-breakers for me personally.  The knobs are really nice.  But you can buy new knobs and handle any time.

I saltwater fish about 3 x 1-week periods every year.  The rest of the time, this is for bass.

Given the great reviews for the Arid, I'd buy the Arid.  

On October 16, 2016 at 3:07 PM, snake95 said:

Well, it's not what you asked - but I thought seriously about getting one and went with the considerably more expensive Diawa Coastal TWS instead.  Maybe you are also comparing these two?  In any case, I think I would've went with the Arid if I could go back again.  Well, two Arids, really.

The TWS has been a good reel - except that I sent it back for warranty work with the thumb-bar popping up mid-cast.

The main differences - I think - are:

The TWS has more corrosion resistant bearings

The TWS has the T-wing system - the effectiveness of this is debatable.

The TWS sideplates are a spectacular blue aluminum.

The TWS has great cranking knobs - I'll give it that!

In retrospect, none of these are deal-breakers for me personally.  The knobs are really nice.  But you can buy new knobs and handle any time.

I saltwater fish about 3 x 1-week periods every year.  The rest of the time, this is for bass.

Given the great reviews for the Arid, I'd buy the Arid.  

I do appreciate the information! I fish saltwater as much as I fish for bass, so I figured why not try to have a set up that does double duty. I currently fish saltwater with exclusively spinning reels, but thought it might be fun (and to my benefit) to be practicing using a baitcaster while I was doing my saltwater stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrackishBassin said:

I do appreciate the information! I fish saltwater as much as I fish for bass, so I figured why not try to have a set up that does double duty. I currently fish saltwater with exclusively spinning reels, but thought it might be fun (and to my benefit) to be practicing using a baitcaster while I was doing my saltwater stuff. 

No experience with the Daiwa you ask about, but my old Lexa casting
and spinning reels both work well in salt. I also try to buy gear that works
in both fresh/salt, given that we live in the Tidewater area of VA.

That said, I went with Shimano gear, but most Daiwa, I think, works
in both waters as well.

I use spinning most of the time now. Been moving away from casting
gear simply because I prefer it. Wind is no factor, and I have no problems 
in 99% of situations. Down to one baitcaster now, tho one of my sons has
both of my Daiwa Lexas (spinning, casting).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrackishBassin said:

I figured why not try to have a set up that does double duty. I currently fish saltwater with exclusively spinning reels, but thought it might be fun (and to my benefit) to be practicing using a baitcaster while I was doing my saltwater stuff. 

I had the same thought - though admittedly I don't get to fish saltwater that often.  It may seem strange to recommend a reel you sent back for warranty repair work - but I'm honestly pretty happy with the TWS coastal, and I think the problem was just a fluke.  It helped that Daiwa was so easy to deal with and repaired the issue promptly.  I'm kind of frugal, and would probably go with the Arid if I could do it again. I would guess you can't go too far wrong with either of these Daiwa options. Good luck with it!

17 hours ago, Darren. said:

No experience with the Daiwa you ask about, but my old Lexa casting
and spinning reels both work well in salt. I also try to buy gear that works
in both fresh/salt, given that we live in the Tidewater area of VA.

That said, I went with Shimano gear, but most Daiwa, I think, works
in both waters as well.

I use spinning most of the time now. Been moving away from casting
gear simply because I prefer it. Wind is no factor, and I have no problems 
in 99% of situations. Down to one baitcaster now, tho one of my sons has
both of my Daiwa Lexas (spinning, casting).

I definitely like my spinning gear (I use mostly Penn reels like the Fierce and Battle), but I have found that I can cast more times with a baitcaster than I can with my spinning gear. That is assuming that I have no backlashes of course. So, in situations where I'm tossing a lure at breaking fish, I think a baitcaster would be to my benefit.

16 hours ago, snake95 said:

I had the same thought - though admittedly I don't get to fish saltwater that often.  It may seem strange to recommend a reel you sent back for warranty repair work - but I'm honestly pretty happy with the TWS coastal, and I think the problem was just a fluke.  It helped that Daiwa was so easy to deal with and repaired the issue promptly.  I'm kind of frugal, and would probably go with the Arid if I could do it again. I would guess you can't go too far wrong with either of these Daiwa options. Good luck with it!

I do like the sound of the TWS Coastal, but I think that's a little out of my price range, if I can't manage to find a used one on eBay or something.

• Like 2

I am a shimano/daiwa guy myself but I bought an abu garcia orra inshore bc reel for dual duty when I visit my buddy in Florida,  and it's an excellent reel that lists for 149 but on ebay/walmart.com/amazon it's like 110 tops. Can't recommend it enough.

• Like 1