Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Ellingwood

Gheenoe owners

Hello,  looking into getting my first boat and herd some stuff about the gheenoe. The super 16 to be exact.  Any owners or people that owned that could give some feed back.  I live in south Florida so would occasionally fish lake o, but mostly canals.  Thanks.

they are great boats. we used to have a small boat tourney series in Brevard county years ago and 75% of the boats were gheenoes. it helps that they are made in Titusville. but you can rig em any way you want,super stable. fished out a couple of em and like em a lot.

• Like 1

I have a one that's about 12-14' I use getting into sucker holes in a small river (more like a creek) that has laydowns and junk all up it.  I use it because I've rolled my 17' canoe twice and it's almost impossible to get a jon boat through there.  It's much more stable than a canoe and my 4hp Merc will dang near put the thing on plane.  Very easy to push through the water and even though it rides very low in the water, it stay pretty dry.

I have been fishing out of a 15"6' Gheenoe Classic for about 10 years now. You can rig them anyway you want and spend a little or a lot.

When I first got it set up I had a full sized bass boat, 18", Kevlar hull, 150 hp with all the bells and whistles. Ran 82 mph. After I started fishing smaller out of the way waters with the Gheenoe and started catching more and larger fish with virtually no crowds around me I realized I had used the "bass" boat twice in 18 months and I fish at least once a week. Sold the bass boat and never looked back. 

I rigged mine as follows - 55 lb foot controlled tm, 25 hp electric start remote start Merc, ss prop, CMC tilt and trim, stick steering from the center seat, very nice swivel seats, depth finder, lights, bilge pump, drive on trailer.  Runs 32 mph in inches of water. Fish lakes, rivers, bay, flats, etc.

Check their website - Custom Gheenoe.com.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, davecon said:

I have been fishing out of a 15"6' Gheenoe Classic for about 10 years now. You can rig them anyway you want and spend a little or a lot.

When I first got it set up I had a full sized bass boat, 18", Kevlar hull, 150 hp with all the bells and whistles. Ran 82 mph. After I started fishing smaller out of the way waters with the Gheenoe and started catching more and larger fish with virtually no crowds around me I realized I had used the "bass" boat twice in 18 months and I fish at least once a week. Sold the bass boat and never looked back. 

I rigged mine as follows - 55 lb foot controlled tm, 25 hp electric start remote start Merc, ss prop, CMC tilt and trim, stick steering from the center seat, very nice swivel seats, depth finder, lights, bilge pump, drive on trailer.  Runs 32 mph in inches of water. Fish lakes, rivers, bay, flats, etc.

Check their website - Custom Gheenoe.com.

This right here! Getting a kayak and fishing smaller waters was the best thing I ever did for my fishing. I might have quit fishing or greatly reduced the regularity of it if I had to lug a boat to the lake every time I wanted to catch a few one pound fish. And I get exercise at it! There's no feeling like hooking into a big fish on a kayak and going for a "Nantucket Sleigh Ride". I still have my big boat, but it's only for fishing a local reservoir in the winter. This winter I'm going to brave it in the kayak.

Believe me, a Gheenoe is NOTHING like a canoe or kayak. They are extremely stable - I can put my knees on the gunnel and pee over the side of the boat and it is nowhere near tipping. Have caught 100 plus pound tarpon in it with no issues ( now you don't want him in the boat with you but you really don't want a tarpon in any boat).

If the water is rough you will get wet but if the weather is that bad I'm usually in a protected area or at home anyway.

Mine loads as quick and easy as any bass boat and uses very little gas. Went Sunday with a grandson, ran 14 or 15 miles minimum and burned less than two gallons of gas.

• Like 2

Awesome feedback guys, I'm a big guy 300 .  Can I get away with classic or spend the extra and go with super. Definitely want to be able to stand and fish with 2 people. 

Mine is too small for me to want to stand in, some of the others might have an answer for that one.  As for size person though, I used to take a retired game warden with me sometimes and I'm sure he weighed close to 300 pounds and I weighed 215 and that little boat handled it with no problems, but we did not stand and was very careful getting in and out because that was a load in it.  Once in it and set down, it was very stable with that much body and a couple of coolers.  That was sliding over logs, limbs and all kinds of junk that would have easily rolled a canoe, been there, done that so I know.

• Like 1

Mine is the old Classic model. If I was going to get one today I would buy the new LT 25.

You owe it to yourself to go to the Custom Gheenoe website. Lots of valuable info there. Your size should not be an issue. I weigh 210 (or at least used to) and my fishing buddy was about 255. No problems.