primetime

Lime Green Gatorade Color water-What color baits?

I have been struggling while fishing in one of my favorite spots which somehow has turned Green almost like a pool without chlorine. You can still see a good 2' into the water, and the fish seem to be active since they are breaking the surface.

I have been trying to do all the things you would do in stained/muddy water and normal techniques but I am not doing well with any baits, lures, and I am wondering if I am off on color?

What colors would you use. I use mostly soft baits due to weeds,but you can run a chatterbait but I am not getting bit on bladed jigs or swim jigs for some reason..What color would you use if you saw green water and you know fish are there.

Thanks. I am getting annoyed since fish will smash newly hatched fry on the shoreline right in front of me and I can't figure it out. I know they are keyed on newly hatched shiners/Tilapia but they are not touching 1-2" baits either...

Do you think there's an algae bloom going on? Do you think it's enough to be messing with them seeing the bait? If it were me i would probably try something bright like chartreuse or bright white. I'm pretty sure you've tried that so next I'd go the other way and try solid black, A sharpie can make any lure black in minutes. Have you tried ripping a rattle trap through those weeds?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pawpaw said:

Do you think there's an algae bloom going on? Do you think it's enough to be messing with them seeing the bait? If it were me i would probably try something bright like chartreuse or bright white. I'm pretty sure you've tried that so next I'd go the other way and try solid black, A sharpie can make any lure black in minutes. Have you tried ripping a rattle trap through those weeds?

ditto……………same things going on over here on the east coast at some of the ponds I fish. small buzz bait works real good also.

• Like 4

Try fishing dark colors or loud colors such as chartreuse.A spinnerbait is a good choice in waters like you described.

• Like 3

All Good ideas. Thanks. I plan on adding more chartruese to some soft baits for contrast as suggested, I lost my spike it pen, need to go buy another one.  I like the idea of a Rattle trap and spinnerbait, I will give them both a shot in different sizes.

I think it is an algae bloom since we had so much rain a few weeks ago with run off, the 2 ponds are each only maybe 20 acres so hopefully with this new cold weather coming in the fish will become more cooperative. Overall this fall has been warm, the last few nights have been the first few I have noticed a big difference in temps so the green color surprised me, usually that happens in the summer but maybe the fish just need a few days to adjust to the change in color? 

• Like 2

If there isn't too much grass, try a lipless crank in chrome blue or chrome black. I had excellent luck with that when one of my spots was that color. Otherwise, try a weightless zoom super fluke.

• Like 2

You said that you like using plastics.. Fat ika and double tail hula grub have been super hot for me lately ! Both fished weightless.  But this is in ohio.. your results may vary in Florida. 

• Like 1

Big black Power Worm or shakey head or Senko. Go-tos for me.

This is why I travel to Florida to fish.  The completely unnatural, possibly toxic, glow in the dark water is getting in the way of catching bass.  What can I do about it?  No one says "leave" because we all know there's the potential that a really good fish will be in there.  Can't wait until I go back in February. 

• Like 2

Yep it's an algae bloom. Gatorade green. Lmao. Seen that here last week to. 

I usally don't change colors how ever. The first place I ever fished a water melon senko happened to be dark green water with green weeds the same color and to my surprise the fish had no trouble seeing it. They just kept inhaling the sucker all that day.  It may cut down on how far they can see it but they can see it. However as said there maybe better options. If there chasing bait I'd be giving them something to chase. As said a lipless bait fits the bill nicely. if you haven't fished them in weeds before let me offer a tip. Don't jerk it when you feel it hit the weed tops just keep reeling and it will pull free usually. If you do have to jerk it free do so like your setting the hook straight up and sharp. Be prepared for strikes when it rips free. They seem to like that erratic behavior. 

Dont forget to use that lipless bait during the winter months to when those weeds die back some to. There much firmer and easier to pull off of. And if they die off to just clumps here and there thats where the fish will be. I've pulled a lot of nice fish one after the other off just a little two ft clump of weeds while just dragging it slowly across the bottom till it hit it and pulled free.  

Happy weed fishing to ya!       Gatorade green still lol. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2016 at 10:51 PM, soflabasser said:

Try fishing dark colors or loud colors such as chartreuse.A spinnerbait is a good choice in waters like you described.

I finally had a great few hours and it turned out a Spinnerbait was the right tool for the Job, I just had to make multiple casts/pitches to get it to pass by cover at several angles, bump it and run, and they wanted a smaller profile, I used a gold bladed Strike King single Hammered "Mini King with a black/chart skirt. Good call, I started realizing that the fish were all tight to cover since I went early in the morning, and I then  decided to take a Junebug Stick bait, bite it down to 4", make an MJ rig with a small Gold Colorodo blade? Jig Spinner blade and pitch it to cover with a 3/16 oz weight, fish it almost like a shaky rig, then reel it super slow...Caught some bigger fish up to 4lbs. 

Heading back tonight and I will get a picture of the green water, It is truly gatorade green not sure how else to describe it.

On 10/25/2016 at 9:58 PM, Insanity said:

Yep it's an algae bloom. Gatorade green. Lmao. Seen that here last week to. 

I usally don't change colors how ever. The first place I ever fished a water melon senko happened to be dark green water with green weeds the same color and to my surprise the fish had no trouble seeing it. They just kept inhaling the sucker all that day.  It may cut down on how far they can see it but they can see it. However as said there maybe better options. If there chasing bait I'd be giving them something to chase. As said a lipless bait fits the bill nicely. if you haven't fished them in weeds before let me offer a tip. Don't jerk it when you feel it hit the weed tops just keep reeling and it will pull free usually. If you do have to jerk it free do so like your setting the hook straight up and sharp. Be prepared for strikes when it rips free. They seem to like that erratic behavior. 

Dont forget to use that lipless bait during the winter months to when those weeds die back some to. There much firmer and easier to pull off of. And if they die off to just clumps here and there thats where the fish will be. I've pulled a lot of nice fish one after the other off just a little two ft clump of weeds while just dragging it slowly across the bottom till it hit it and pulled free.  

Happy weed fishing to ya!       Gatorade green still lol. 

I am working on getting a picture, I tried to match the water color the way you first mentioned as soon as I saw the color. I usually always try to match the water color/Bottom color etc. but I can't get a trap through the water since it is full of slime, not the kind of weeds you can really snap a trap from unless you have a really strong work ethic.

I did try to throw a Floating Bill Lewis Trap since others suggested the trap and I never use them in the ponds thinking they are too much, but I still have not had success with floating traps. The hooks foul all the time and they are hard to run into stumps and bushes since they lack any balance. They won't touch the suspending traps either, but they were killing the MJ rig which is basically the same priniciple  as a spinnerbait only a senko with a blade attached, I started doing better pitching it with a bullet weight pegged, 4" piece of a Junebug worm, and small blade on the back. Half the strikes came on the fall, rest came as I started reeling. 

The bigger Fish seem to be tight to cover since the water turned at all times, but I am hoping I can catch something much bigger than 4lbs, I may just try pitching some plastics to good cover and hit every inch. 

Talk about frustrating, I had 2 fish break the water right at my feet while Wading that were easy 5lb plus but I still have not managed to figure the biggest fish out. I know these ponds have double digit fish, Just not going to give in and use a Shiner but it's getting tempting. That MJ rig is really good when it works. Thanks again for the suggestions, The green water must be an algae bloom which has caused the bottom and even mid level water to have a slime in it, which makes fishing lures almost impossible and they won't hit topwater which I just don't understand if they are breaking the surface? 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2016 at 10:38 AM, primetime said:

I finally had a great few hours and it turned out a Spinnerbait was the right tool for the Job, I just had to make multiple casts/pitches to get it to pass by cover at several angles, bump it and run, and they wanted a smaller profile, I used a gold bladed Strike King single Hammered "Mini King with a black/chart skirt. Good call, I started realizing that the fish were all tight to cover since I went early in the morning, and I then  decided to take a Junebug Stick bait, bite it down to 4", make an MJ rig with a small Gold Colorodo blade? Jig Spinner blade and pitch it to cover with a 3/16 oz weight, fish it almost like a shaky rig, then reel it super slow...Caught some bigger fish up to 4lbs. 

Heading back tonight and I will get a picture of the green water, It is truly gatorade green not sure how else to describe it.

Spinnerbaits are always in my bass fishing tackle box and are one of the best lures to use in murky water in South Florida. 

• Like 2