Shorty17

New reel....need help?

I just bought a Quantum Centex reel. Not sure what kind of line to run on it. I fish alot of ponds and off land in small lakes. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance,

-Shorty17

First off, welcome to Bass Resource. As for what kind of line you should use, this is typically dictated by what sort of techniques you will be fishing as well as your rod strength. Most rods have a limit on the weight of line, this can be found printed on the rod just above the reel seat. For a great all around line weight, I like 12 lb flouro for jigs, t-rigs, cranks, jerk baits, etc. 

If you fish heavier cover like grass or hydrilla, 30lb braid is also a great option for t-rigs, frogs, and punching/pitching. Would not recommend throwing cranks on braid due to the chance of it breaking on a hookset. 

If you are new to baitcasters, it is a lot easier to learn to cast using braid as bird nests can more easily be pulled out than with flouro. The downside is that braid is sometimes expensive and limits the amount of techniques you can employ.

Tight lines. 

• Like 1

I use braid with a fluoro leader on every rod i own except my mod action crankbait rods which have straight fluorocarbon because I don't want the braid to impede dive depth. 

Personally, depending on your rods power of course, I would use either 30lb braid with 15lb fluoro leader, or 20lb braid with a 10-12lb fluoro leader. there are a lot of benefits to the braid with fluoro set up, one of which being cost. invest in good braid (normally around $25-$40 a 150yrd spool) And a decent fluorocarbon, and you won't buy line again for years. Not to mention there is much less give in this setup compared to mono. 

I use straight braid for everything except crankbaits. I don't like using leaders cause the more knots between you and the fish the places there are to break. Not saying they will just a chance so I run braid tied straight to my lure. I don't believe fish can see line that's just me I've used 50lb Power pro in relatively clear water with no leader and still caught fish. But in my opinion braid is the way to go: No stretch, and much more sensitive 

6 hours ago, MDbassin said:

I don't believe fish can see line that's just me

Bluegill will attack braid, and if a bluegill can see it, so can a bass. if the places you are fishing aren't very pressured, straight braid might not deter a bite. reaction baits might suffer less from visible line as well since you are relying more on the fishs curiosity then fooling it. 

A good FG-knot is the key to a good braid/fluoro leader setup. the fluoro will break well before the joining knot is a problem, and if your leader breaks, you were going to lose that fish anyway. personally, since switching to braid/fluoro leader, I have yet to break off be it in a tree or on a fish. everyone's mileage will vary of course. 

7 hours ago, DrMarlboro92 said:

Bluegill will attack braid, and if a bluegill can see it, so can a bass. if the places you are fishing aren't very pressured, straight braid might not deter a bite. reaction baits might suffer less from visible line as well since you are relying more on the fishs curiosity then fooling it. 

A good FG-knot is the key to a good braid/fluoro leader setup. the fluoro will break well before the joining knot is a problem, and if your leader breaks, you were going to lose that fish anyway. personally, since switching to braid/fluoro leader, I have yet to break off be it in a tree or on a fish. everyone's mileage will vary of course. 

Like I said that's just me. I have never had bluegill attack my braid. I even use braid on my panfish reel still never had the problem. But experiences vary. I just know I've caught the same amount of bass fishing straight braid then my buddy using Fluoro or mono

If you are new to baitcasters I would recommend starting with mono line because you will most likely blow up a few spools in the learning process! I'd suggest picking up some berkley big game in 12 or 15 lb. It's cheap and it's pretty good mono.