snake95

Favorite Neko Rig Hooks - which and why?

Seems like this would be covered somewhere else but can't find much on it, even in articles on how to set up a Neko Rig.

Looks to me like some use wacky hooks while others prefer straight-shank hooks.

Any experience trying and comparing both hook styles and/or others?

I know there are dedicated VMC Neko hooks out there, but what about more common types?

• Like 1

I just use wacky hooks mostly because iHave a ton plus in my mind a neko rig isn't much different then wacky rigging u are just weighting one side of the worm.  On a side note I did try nail weights and neko weights and actually settled on cheap crappie jigs for the weight I just clip the majority of the hook off they seem to work a little better for me when I'm switching colors due to it's easier to find the one with the weight in it plus it gives the option of adding a contrast color to it instead of dye

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dsqui said:

On a side note I did try nail weights and neko weights and actually settled on cheap crappie jigs for the weight

Thanks @dsqui I will learn from your experience.  Great tip.

I don't fish the neko rig much (although I think I should...) but when I do, I like to use small o-rings (like you use to wacky rig senkos, but smaller) that fit around finesse worms or jig skirt bands, depending on the thickness of the bait. For hooks, I use size 1 to 1/0 Owner Mosquito Hooks or weedless wacky hooks. I think that this method preserves the worm longer as it slides up the line if a bass strikes and for piece of mind. I always feel that I'd cast off the worm if I wasn't using the o-rings or jig skirt bands.

• Like 1