Sign in to follow this  
MaineBassMan

Maine Ice out reports/ prefer southern Maine lakes

High fellow Mainers!!

Well that time of year is almost upon us!!! I'm going to be heading Down to Dover N.H. with my Father , we're from Downeast, East Machias, to pick our new bass boat!!!! and we were thinking that if we plan it right we might be able to test our boat out on some southern Maine lakes as long as the ice is out. So as the title ask....what are the Ice conditions like? Our lakes here are still frozen, although some of them are opening up in the middle.

Still frozen in the Augusta area.:angry:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UpTheHill said:

Still frozen in the Augusta area.:angry:

Thank you keep me informed. Haven't made up my mind what to fish I'm thinking Cobbossecontee, Damariscotta or China lake.

I fished Cobbossecontee about 6 years ago and had a great time. I've never fished Damariscotta or China so I'm thinking one of those two. We'll see? Might even pick something else, too many options lol.

Not sure about Cobbossecontee or damariscotta, but China lake and lake st George are still 98% ice

i was out on Sennebec lake in Union yesterday. Its open at the entrance & exit to the st George river

• Like 1

Cobbossecontee and damariscotta lake are still completely frozen over.

I drove around lakes in the Lewiston and Wayne area, they were also frozen, though the kennebec and androscogin rivers were ice free.

I see the warden service has extended ice fishing season to April 16th, so it's noit looking optimistic.

• Like 1

Here in western Maine (just north of Kezar) we're still on roughly 24"-30" of ice....this snow we're getting isn't going to help either. I've heard reports of 10"-16" on Sabattus, however 

• Like 1

• Well I can not help you on the ice conditions of the followings lakes I mention here. But if you are in the  Dover , Nh area you can access the border lakes just a few miles north of Dover via the Spaldding Turnpike/Rt 16 easily.  They are Milton Three Ponds,  Horn Pond and  Great East Lake.  A little further east into Maine try Square Pond or Mousam Lake in Acton ,Maine area. These 2 are also accessible  from The Great East Lake area via the back roads.
  • Like 1

I'd be real surprised if you found any open water in maine besides a river.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:22 AM, Smokinal said:

I'd be real surprised if you found any open water in maine besides a river.

I totally agree Smokinal.

I ice fish quite a bit. Last weekend there was still around 20" of solid ice in southwestern maine. A river is your best bet. You will be hard pressed to find any open water for awhile.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mainebass1984 said:

I totally agree Smokinal.

I ice fish quite a bit. Last weekend there was still around 20" of solid ice in southwestern maine. A river is your best bet. You will be hard pressed to find any open water for awhile.

Hey Maine! How ya been? Getting ready to lay the smack down on some big girls this spring? I can't wait to see your reports.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Smokinal said:

Hey Maine! How ya been? Getting ready to lay the smack down on some big girls this spring? I can't wait to see your reports.

I have been good ! Ready to get out there in search of giants.  Sadly it looks like a couple weeks before I can get to the places I like to fish. I probably will get out on Champlain before then.

How much longer up your way ?

The web cam on my home lake looks like it should be open around the 15-16th. I like to give it a week or 2 of sun so hopefully Sunday the 30th will be first cast day.

If you snoop around the facebook fishing groups, you will find a few places to launch your boat in the Belgrade area. I've seen pictures of people fishing already, but they aren't giving up the juice on where.