Sign in to follow this  
BassThumb

Dobyns Sierra SA 704SF

Has anyone tried this rod? 

What do you think of it?

Is it true to the other 4-power rods in the lineup? Lighter, heavier, faster, slower?

I'm looking for a rod specifically for skipping soft plastics and jigs. I'll mainly use 5" Senkos, soft jerkbaits, and 1/4oz jigs.

I have been using a 703 Extreme but I feel it's too light for a skipping rod. I have a hard time horsing bass out from underneath a dock with it.

Thanks

I know a lot of people say the Dobyns rods fish light but to me my Sierra 703 fishes like a true medium so I would think the 704 would fish like a true MH.

Ive heard thay their spinning rods are truer to their markings. I dont have a Sierra 703, but from what ive read here, if anyone has a Dobyn's spinning rod, its either a 703 or a 743. 

Dont be afraid to call them up and ask, theyre all very knowledgeable about their product. Theyll sell you the rod you need.

I just purchased my wife a Sierra SA 705SF for her to throw jigs and frogs on.  Comparing it to my Champion 705C it is a bit slower action graphite (which I expected since it is a Sierra) but if you lay both tips on the ground her spinning rod come pretty close to my 705's taper.  I am amazed how sensitive that rod is.  The rod specs 3/8 to 1 1/4,  It will definitely handle lures from 1/2 to 1 ounce in my opinion.

Based on this, I would expect the 704 to be a good choice for you.  The question is more like do you go Sierra, Champion or Champion Extreme?  I also agree call and ask to speak with Gary or his son Richard.