CybrSlydr

Burr Oak State Park - 8 APR 2017

Today I went out to try out my new Dobyn's SA 692 SF rod.  With the weather and water quality we've had of late, the idea was to downsize lures.  To do so, I needed a new rod that would cast 1/8oz lures. 

lakeBurrOak.jpg

Burr Oak is a HUGE lake.  Since I was by myself this time, I stuck to the dam area - top/center.  I've fished here before and decided to bring my waders along so I could get away from the rocks at the dam and out into the water as well as cast farther.  The nice thing about the dam area is that it's one giant flat - it's still about 4-5ft deep about 20ft out.

So here's what I was working with today.

33535097780_cbe4414221_k.jpg

33879005366_66e88aee04_k.jpg

That's right folks - I know how to pick 'em!  It has been raining the past week and I belive was still raining on Thursday, so I was expecting this kind of water clarity. 

Just to give you an idea on how dirty the water is...

33107310453_dfcc938ef7_k.jpg

And just to make things even better...

33920028935_0e1b70d7d3_k.jpg

My left wader boot has a hole in it.  If you're wondering, yes - the water is still quite chilly.  Thank God for wool socks and fleece thermals.  Eventually what I worked out was I got the boot full of water, got out of the water and let my body heat and the sun warm it up.  I then went back in the water and it was relatively insulated against the chill in the water.  Despite this, my foot was still a bit chilly when I dumped out the waders when I was done.

33920034045_91b24927a7_k.jpg

I also got a good bit of sun today - no, those aren't claw marks from a lady, well, they're from a female cat anyway.  lol

Despite this I tried out various lures just to see how the rod reacted.  1/10oz Ned Rig jig w/3.25" stick bait, 1/2oz blade bait, jerkbait, squarebill and a texas rigged BIWAA swimbait (Tail Gun'r from LTB) were used, along with my new SPRO BBZ-1 baby shad I got at Cabela's.  It's the 1/4oz 2.5" version.

Despite the lack of any nibbles at all, the rod performed flawlessly.  This rod absolutely BOMBS the 1/2oz blade bait.  It also cast the Ned rig quite far as well.

To get even more distance out of these casts I'm considering getting some 10lb 832 and pairing with a 6lb P-line CXX.  In the near future what I'll most likely do is just spool on the 12lb Nanofil to the new reel I got for this rod that arrives on Tuesday. 

Nice write up id be throwing chatterbaits in that water! Puts off alot of vibration!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

What size/color combo would you have used?

Black and blue 3/8 !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, everythingthatswims said:

Black and blue 3/8 !

Why a black/blue instead of say...  white and chartreuse?  My thinking is the white/chartreuse would with their bright colors would stand out against the dull brown of the water better than the darker colors black/blue.

Any particular brand/type of chatterbait?  I don't currently have any.

Just now, CybrSlydr said:

Why a black/blue instead of say...  white and chartreuse?  My thinking is the white/chartreuse would with their bright colors would stand out against the dull brown of the water better than the darker colors black/blue.

Any particular brand/type of chatterbait?  I don't currently have any.

Can't go wrong with the tried and true z man. You could go white/chart but I tend to stick to darker colors for chatterbaits when I fish dirty water. Spinnerbaits on the other hand I would be using white/chart with a single Colorado blade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, everythingthatswims said:

Can't go wrong with the tried and true z man. You could go white/chart but I tend to stick to darker colors for chatterbaits when I fish dirty water. Spinnerbaits on the other hand I would be using white/chart with a single Colorado blade.

Would you put a swimbait on there as well?  Like a... super fluke or something similar?  Or fish it bare?

17 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

Would you put a swimbait on there as well?  Like a... super fluke or something similar?  Or fish it bare?

Any black and blue swimbait with a lot of thump would do the trick. I always fish trailers on chatterbaits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, everythingthatswims said:

Any black and blue swimbait with a lot of thump would do the trick. I always fish trailers on chatterbaits.

Thanks!  Appreciate the help!  :)