juicebass

Rod selection help pls!! (Photos)

Hey guys, looking to add 2 rods to my collection.

i already have:

7'6 MH F

6'10 MH F spinnerbait specific.

i am looking at buying used rods from someone in my area.(the older crucial)

Is buying used rods a bad idea? Suggestions on what to look for or information I should know regarding wear and tear?

heres a photo. I'm interested in the 7' MH F, and 6'10 H EXtra fast..

what would "specifics baits" be for those two rods? A 6'10 heavy Extrs fast must be a punch rod or jig rod? What about the 7'!?!

help please!

IMG_4503.JPG

Buying a used rod is a good way to save money on a rod. Just check to make sure the guides aren't missing an insert and look the rod over to see if it's had the tip replaced or any obvious damage. The rods are at least two years old so don't expect them to look perfect. Rub a q tip in each guide, if the cotton catches the guide will need to be replaced so that it doesn't cut your line. I would pay around $80 per rod if they are in fair condition. 

The two heavy rods can be used for the same things it just depends if you like an extra fast tip or a fast tip. You could throw frogs, heavier jigs, Texas rigged plastics with a weight, basically any single hook bait that falls within the rods lure weight range. It's a stiffer version of your 7'6 rod that will do a better job of handling heavier lures in thicker cover. 

If you get the 7' MH rod you would have three rods which essentially do the same thing. Your spinner bait rod, the crucial and your 7'6 rod probably all have a lure weight range within 1/8 ounce of each other. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CenCal fisher said:

Buying a used rod is a good way to save money on a rod. Just check to make sure the guides aren't missing an insert and look the rod over to see if it's had the tip replaced or any obvious damage. The rods are at least two years old so don't expect them to look perfect. Rub a q tip in each guide, if the cotton catches the guide will need to be replaced so that it doesn't cut your line. I would pay around $80 per rod if they are in fair condition. 

The two heavy rods can be used for the same things it just depends if you like an extra fast tip or a fast tip. You could throw frogs, heavier jigs, Texas rigged plastics with a weight, basically any single hook bait that falls within the rods lure weight range. It's a stiffer version of your 7'6 rod that will do a better job of handling heavier lures in thicker cover. 

If you get the 7' MH rod you would have three rods which essentially do the same thing. Your spinner bait rod, the crucial and your 7'6 rod probably all have a lure weight range within 1/8 ounce of each other. 

Very good insight thanks for the reply!!!!

i went with the 7' and took the 6'10 with the extra fast tip. I figured it was heavy action which I don't have and also the extra fast which I don't have.

im curious to try the extra fast rip just not sure if that was the right choice? I def like a fast action rod. What do I gain and lose with the extra fast?

1 hour ago, juicebass said:

Very good insight thanks for the reply!!!!

i went with the 7' and took the 6'10 with the extra fast tip. I figured it was heavy action which I don't have and also the extra fast which I don't have.

im curious to try the extra fast rip just not sure if that was the right choice? I def like a fast action rod. What do I gain and lose with the extra fast?

An extra fast vs a fast tip isn't that big of a difference. I found that a fast tip will cast lures near the lower end of a rods weight range better than an extra fast tip. The extra fast tip will do everything the fast tip can but might give you a little better hookset. I like slower action rods, but some people like faster rods. 

1 hour ago, CenCal fisher said:

An extra fast vs a fast tip isn't that big of a difference. I found that a fast tip will cast lures near the lower end of a rods weight range better than an extra fast tip. The extra fast tip will do everything the fast tip can but might give you a little better hookset. I like slower action rods, but some people like faster rods. 

Great info..! I'm curious to try it out and feel the difference!

thanks for your replies!