JBass90

Dobyns 764C vs Dobyns 804C for Carolina Rigging?

Which Champion Dobyns rod listed above would be the best for Carolina rigging? or if other rods come to mind that you think are better for the application. I usually use a fairly short leader for Carolina rigging from a 1.5 to 2 foot length. I usually fish it on ledges that go from 8-12 ft to 16-18ft.  The rod I use now is a 7' St Croix Premier MHF. I want to give the longer rod a try since I hear a lot of people prefer it for Carolina rigging.  I'm thinking that the 804C might be too long for me since I only own one rod over 7'. Let me know if you have experience with either rod. 

Really either would be a great choice.  8-18ft isn't that deep, so the 764 would probably be a good fit for you if you are worried about length.

Now if you were dragging down 40ft ledges, then ya I would say go for the 804 all day and your hooksets would be godlike.

764 also doubles great for a football jig rod too if you're into that sort of thing

IMO, if you don't own one already, anyone who fishes with Dobyns rods is required to own atleast one DC735 :P

• Like 1

Thanks! Yeah I was leaning towards the 764..   Do you use your DC735 for Carolina rigs? or are you just saying thats a good all around rod?

Of all my Dobyns Rods and other brands I have, if I had to have one rod for the rest of my life... DC735 F/H is a freaking no-brainer.  You have to own one regardless of whatever else you buy, lol.  You can thank me later.

For Carolina Rigging, which I don't do often as it bores the hell out of me, it would work fine.  A longer rod would be better, but at the depths you are doing it at, I don't think it's gonna be a major deal breaker.  I've done it on a 7ft before just fine, just have to make sure you take up line well before you try to set the hook.

I'm ordered the 764 for Carolina Rigging..i'll have to try the 735 though.. I love all around rods. 

It's really up to you, I'd try the longer rod, maybe you don't like longer rods, maybe you do haha. Only one way to find out. I recently called and asked about a carolina rig rod, they said whichever, all dependent on the length preference. 

• Like 1