Sign in to follow this  
LrgMouthCatcha

Replacing Boat Flooring

As in a previous posts (and many more to come, because you guys are "experts" and give the best advice)  I'm refurbishing my boat.  

The floors in the boat are soft and need replacing... how much would it cost to get someone to redo it? An what type of carpet should I use (because I'm going to get rid of the old carpet.)

As usual, thanks for your input!

What type of boat is it?  Just how much of the floor is soft?  If it's just a spot or two the sections can be cut out and replaced and then carpeted over, if you're talking about the entire floor being soft you've got a fairly big job.

Here's a place that can give you an idea on floor repair and replacement.

http://www.capndsboatshed.com/partfloorrepl.htm

Getting someone to do it is feasible though it won't be in-expensive.

As for boat carpeting, Cabela's, BPS, West Marine are just a few that carry boat carpet.  Outdoor carpet sold at Lowes or Home Depot isn't as nice as marine carpeting. It doesn't hold up as well and is non-hook friendly. (They tend to snag hooks often)

What type of boat is it?

It is a '98 Procraft

Just how much of the floor is soft?

Its a spot b/t the drivers side and passengers side

I'm going to rip the carpet up tomorrow and take some pics to give a better idea of what I'm talking about...

Any other advice?

I have been redoing a boat that was given to me by my father-in-law.  The decks and floor were rotted and the carpet had to be redone.  it has been kind of fun for me to just do it myself, plus I don't have extra money to pay someone else to do it..  The boat is 1967 Valco Bassboat 16'6" (aluminum).  It has been really easy for me, because he had the decks already cut and the rol of carpet. I just had to tow it from California to Alabama.  Like I said it has been a fun project for me to do myself, and I have no experience installing decks or carpet, but am having fun watching it come to life as my own.

I hear that marine wood is expensive,but since it was given to me free, I didn't complain.  I think a sheet of treated plywood would work just the same.  The carpet is marine carpet.  The only things I have needed are good utility knife, a pop rivet gun, and rivets, and a can of adhesive (7M or whatever it is).  If I ever do it again though, I will not use a spray, I will use gorilla glue or something in a liquid.

Willie

It's a major job and would cost more than the hull is worth to have it done.  If you want to do it yourself, I hope you have some experience with fiberglass and doing boat restorations.   You will have to take the cap off, then the floor out.  If the hull is not properly braced, it will open up like a clam shell.  When this happens and you put you new floor in and go to put the cap back on, it won't fit.   There is usually a lot of other rot that goes along with a rotted out floor that you will find when you get it appart.

If it's a small area, screw a piece of aluminum over it and cover it with carpet.  

If you do try it, don't use pressure treated wood.  Just get you some 1/2" BC and seal it good on both sides with epoxy resin.   Your resins will not bond with pressure treated and it will turn loose after several months.

It is a tough job. You have to grind out the fiberglass around the edge of the floor. If you have ever ground fiberglass you know that it SUCKS. Then once you remove the floor, you may find stringer rot. It usually happens about the same time as the floor. Were you to find that, you might be able to sister another board to the damaged piece, but you may end up having to remove the whole interior and rip out the whole floor. You may find the foam to be waterlogged as well. Replacing that is not cheap, though I can not remember the exact price. The plywood is not cheap either. It is between 80 and 90 bucks a sheet. Then you have to reglass the floor, because in a glass boat, a lot of the strength comes from the floor. It takes a lot of work, but still can be fun. But, if you want to do it just to fix your boat, and not for the fun of it, I wouldn't recommend it. But if you do, make sure you still have another boat to fish from. We made that mistake, and it is not a good one to make.