Jump to content
Turf

Loxahatchee Federal Preserve - Kayak - 7/8/17

Recommended Posts

Got back out to Lox this past Saturday and was pleased to see that water levels, although still high, were quite a bit lower than 3 weeks ago.  They were also still pumping water out of the basin and not in so the current wasn't nearly as drastic as last time.  Water quality was much better than expected and as I was paddling into the flats I noticed quite a bit of surface action early in the morning.  Got off the ramp around first light and fished until about 10:15 when a few storms started to roll in.  I paddled all the way back deep into the flats just north of the Lox boat ramps.  A couple of times I found myself throwing my weight back and forth to nudge my kayak through the muck that I was stuck in.  Once I reached the open water I was shooting for it paid off. 

 

I started fishing around 6:45 or 7 and started with a green/watermelon senko.  About every 3rd or 4th cast I had a largemouth.  Had landed 14 fish by 8:30, all under 2 lbs, all on the same color and presentation of senko.  Just letting it sink to the bottom and jerking it two times slowly off the bottom, many hit on the way down on the initial fall.  After 8:30 the heat must have set in as it was a bright sunny hot day, before the storm clouds started to roll through.  I did manage to catch another 5 from 8:30 until 10:15 but it was much more difficult.  Switched to a fluke and caught a few, also caught one on a swim bait, all still under 2 lbs.  Only fished a hb frog for about 20 mins but nothing going.  Despite the size of the fish I had a blast.  19 in total on the day and lost 5 others that shook loose.  All Largemouth, not a single exotic.  My thumbs were both torn to shreds which is always a good sign as far as I am concerned.  Looking to try to get back out this Sunday morning if everything lines up.  Hope everyone had a good and safe 4th by the way!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parkland.  Put in by the Lox Rd boat ramps.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were in North canal caught a ton of little ones on speed worm than storms rolled in and so did we.Water clarity and levels r getting better,I got a heavy boat so I gotta stay in main canal wish I could get in flats I'm sure there are some pigs back there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report.  Glad you had some luck back in those flats .  If you go further west and then back in the flat, there are trails that go way back in no mans land.  Thanks for the report again, there are double digits that have never seen a bait way back in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wurming yes I was definitely excited to see the fishery in much better condition then the last time couple of times I was out there.  And I hear you on needing to stay in the main canal.  Often I'm kayaking through 5+ feet of water, which rapidly drops to 1 foot or less in a heartbeat.  

 

Thanks Geo, which I assume is George.  But yes I have actually scoured google maps quite extensively and it seems to be almost endless in terms of the trails that lead you way back into those flats west of the ramps.  And looks like essentially an unlimited amount of open water to get into back in there.  A little daunting to say the least.  Now I just need to explore them one by one until I find those big girls.  Haha, more easily said than done of course.  Lox has quickly turned into my favorite place to fish down here, at least from a kayak that is.  Thanks again and hoping that you were able to have some luck lately as well.  

 

For anyone attempting to Kayak deep into the flats at Lox (or even on smaller more shallow running boats) make sure that you are using a GPS of some sort.  I don't have any electronics on my kayak so I downloaded a free app for my phone called "Fishing Points" that tracks my GPS location as I am fishing.  There are many others as well.  It's very easy to get turned around while you are out there and everything looks the same.  Unless you are really familiar with the place be sure you are tracking your route with GPS.  Without that app it would've taken me much longer to get myself out of there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is out there in the kayak with all those Gators ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Wurming67 said:

How is out there in the kayak with all those Gators ???

 

To be honest Wurming they don't bother me and I don't bother them.  Just need to be cautious and smart.  If I see one I will give him as much space as he would like.  Knock on wood, but haven't had any approach my kayak at this point and there were days were I easily paddled past 30+ gators on the alley, and those were only the ones that I could see.  I'm guessing that the only reasons the gators who approach bass boats are doing that is because some idiot(s) on boats are feeding them, and now they see boats as a source of an easy meal.  Not sure if they view kayaks differently than boats but I like to think that they do. :)

 

Regardless if I see any aggressive behavior I will do anything I can to avoid it.  Almost always as soon as I attempt to paddle past or even turn around, they just duck under the water and swim toward the bank away from me.  My biggest concern about Lox is that the deeper I go, some of those gators likely haven't seen a kayak, or a boat and curiosity may get the best of them.  Flip side to that is as Geo said, there are likely some double digits out there that haven't seen a bait either, and curiosity will definitely get the best of me.  

 

All of that said it's all just a minor fear at this point, and although I know they are there, and I hear them all around (especially during mating season), I've only seen 3 gators with all of the times that I've been out to Lox.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Turf said:

 

To be honest Wurming they don't bother me and I don't bother them.  Just need to be cautious and smart.  If I see one I will give him as much space as he would like.  Knock on wood, but haven't had any approach my kayak at this point and there were days were I easily paddled past 30+ gators on the alley, and those were only the ones that I could see.  I'm guessing that the only reasons the gators who approach bass boats are doing that is because some idiot(s) on boats are feeding them, and now they see boats as a source of an easy meal.  Not sure if they view kayaks differently than boats but I like to think that they do. :)

 

Regardless if I see any aggressive behavior I will do anything I can to avoid it.  Almost always as soon as I attempt to paddle past or even turn around, they just duck under the water and swim toward the bank away from me.  My biggest concern about Lox is that the deeper I go, some of those gators likely haven't seen a kayak, or a boat and curiosity may get the best of them.  Flip side to that is as Geo said, there are likely some double digits out there that haven't seen a bait either, and curiosity will definitely get the best of me.  

 

All of that said it's all just a minor fear at this point, and although I know they are there, and I hear them all around (especially during mating season), I've only seen 3 gators with all of the times that I've been out to Lox.  

30+ gators? Your two sinkers must be huge. Ive gone out occasionally with my little pond boat and get spooked when I see them. Although they haven't been aggressive or swam close to me at all. But if a man will go out with a kayak I sure as heck can go out in my little pond prowler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bassinOUT89 said:

30+ gators? Your two sinkers must be huge. Ive gone out occasionally with my little pond boat and get spooked when I see them. Although they haven't been aggressive or swam close to me at all. But if a man will go out with a kayak I sure as heck can go out in my little pond prowler. 

 

Haha, yes the alley is absolutely loaded with gators but it's typically not that bad or dangerous out there.  Lots of people kayak out along the alley, even recreationally.  Just need be aware and as cautious as possible.  I tend to stay away from the alley during mating season as well.  No sense in risking it.  Any aggressive or territorial behavior, get the hell out of there and leave him be.  You would be perfectly fine in your prowler.  And of course there could always be a rogue gator at any turn but can't let that unlikely event keep you from doing what we love. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×