tcbass

Review: Cabelas Tournament ZX spinning rod vs. Dobyns Fury

I have all Cabelas Tournament ZX Dropshot which is a medium rod with an extra fast tip. It is made for 6-12# line and 1/8 oz - 3/8 oz lures and is 7' feet long. I really like them, the only problem being the back cap tends to peel off after about a year, and in my opinion the reel butt is about 2" inches too long, however, for a regular height person, it is probably perfect. The ZX is normally priced at $99.99 and I always buy them when they are on sale for $69. The Cabelas Tournament ZX is a very good rod for $100 and a great rod for $69. I wanted to try something different and bought a Dobyns Fury which is normally a $109 rod. It is made for 8-17# line and 3/16 to 5/8 oz lures and is 7' feet long and also a medium power, I don't know what type of tip it has.

After using them both I've got to say the Dobyns is lacking. I found that the butt is too short, the weight is too far forward making the rod front heavy, and the hook keeper is behind the reel which makes your line get caught up on the reel stem just hooking it up. It's like Dobyns looked at other rods and said, "The hook keeper has been in front of the reel since they started using hook keepers and it's worked great with almost all other rods placing the hook keeper there, we will do the opposite for the sake of being different". I currently have a Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 on it and may put a heavier Daiwa Procyon spinning reel on it that will balance the weight out more. It's crazy that the hook keeper is behind the reel, such a pain attempting to tighten up the line once the hook is in place. Fighting fish the Dobyns is fine, just having the balance off, too short of butt (I like a longer butt because I do 2 handed casting for longer casts), and hook keeper behind the reel is just too much going against it. I will hopefully get another Tournament ZX on sale and let my brother use the Dobyns.

Winner:  Cabelas Tournament ZX

Cabelas Tournament ZX  -  Score:  4.5 out of 5

Dobyns Fury  -  Score:  3.5 out of 5

• Like 1

Funny I prefer the hook keeper there. Try this when hooking the lure. Let the lure drop down to about even with the hook keeper then hook the lure. Next turn the spool by hand to set the tension. No fuss no muss. Many of my rods are setup that way. It is done on purpose to avoid any contact with the line when casting.

Or just sell it and get more Cabelas rods. 

3 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

Funny I prefer the hook keeper there. Try this when hooking the lure. Let the lure drop down to about even with the hook keeper then hook the lure. Next turn the spool by hand to set the tension. No fuss no muss. Many of my rods are setup that way. It is done on purpose to avoid any contact with the line when casting.

I know I had a problem with the original St. Croix Mojo Bass baitcasting rods because instead of the 1/2 moon style hook keeper, it had an open ended one that always caught the line, in subsequent generations St. Croix fixed that problem and went with the 1/2 moon style. 

I have 1/2 moon styles on all of my Cabelas baitcasting and spinning rods and never had any line interference. 

Open Ended Style Hook Keeper

IMG_1768.JPG.ef52d2dbcd7e205d813bceabeb02ca64.JPG

1/2 Moon style Hook Keeper

IMG_1769.thumb.JPG.881f2927a9d3001c154297f9542a0fba.JPG

I'm also a fan of the ZX series rods. I have a topwater ZX that's taken some serious abuse for the last 3 years and it's been great. I used the cranking stick for a long time also. For 70 bucks they rule 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:46 PM, fishnkamp said:

Or just sell it and get more Cabelas rods. 

I also discovered that putting the rod in the rod holder of my boat, with the hook keeper behind the reel, the hook got caught on the rubber of the rod butt holder. Dang.

FYI, Cabelas Tournament ZX baitcasting and spinning rods are on sale for $79 right now, usually $99. It's a great rod for $99 and an amazing rod for $79. 

I had the same balance issue with my Dobyns Sierra when I had my Stradic FK 3000 on it, I put a Daiwa BG 2500 (about the same weight as the Procyon) and it is worlds better now. As far as hook keeper goes I find myself just hooking it on the frame of the first guide more than using the hook keeper itself.