Sign in to follow this  
LIFish

Help a newbie out

Hey! So i am starting to get more into fishing and need to purchase a new rod/reel. A little about my fishing; I mostly fish in salt water bays/canals, and freshwater lakes/rivers. Fish are usually not that large, and the biggest are flukes that are 12 or so inches. Freshwater is mostly bass. Fish using bobbers or carolina rigs depending on the area. Fish are usually 3-4lb and less. I found stellar reviews about the pflueger president and the shakespeare ugly stik gx2. Will these go well together? In regards to the actual rod; what length should I get (4.5ft-6.6ft+) and what power (very uncertain if I should go medium or medium-heavy - specifically in regards to fish size). As for the reel, should I get the pflueger in 6925 or 6930? Other suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks and take care.

If most of your fishing is going to be in brackish/salt  I would consider a Penn Battle II from West Marine.  Overall they are going to stand up better.  i say this as a Chesapeake Bay angler and as user of many Pfluegers.  None have been a problem and if you go with one I would go with a 6935 or even bigger.  As for the rod a 6'6 to 7 foot would be my suggestion.  If you look at the Penn Battle II combos I would look at a 7 foot rod with the 3000 size reel.

Others will have more insight on this, but for the purposes you mentioned, I have a deticated 7 foot, MH E6X, with a stradic 2500.  It serves me well.