Guys I need some help. I have not had a ton of experience with bilge pumps but any *** from you all would be appreciated before I really start to tear things apart in the boat. Last night me and a couple friends went out fishing on my boat (2013 Nitro Z7). We started out and decided to fill the live well to keep a few fish. I turned the aerator switch to on and let it fill manually. After 20-30 min I realized the switch was still on filling the live well. I told the guy in the back of the boat to throw the recirculate switch on and to throw the bilge on to check and see if the live well was overflowing into the hull. Well he did not know to check the valve in the live well for the pump out feature. After we pumped out much of the live well before we realized what was going on we finally got everything filled and running the way I normally do. Long story short is the bilge was left on at some point for an extended period of time. Not sure if it was 10 min or 3hrs because I was in the front of the boat. When we loaded up at the end of the night I flipped the bilge switch and noticed it did not come on. When I got home I checked the fuse panel and noticed the fuse was blown. So I replaced it and as soon as I hit the switch it blows the fuse. I have tried a 3A, 5A, 7.5A, and 10A. All of them blew instantly. I am fairly confident there is not wiring issue because I have never had an issue and it is a fairly new boat. Also this boat has an auto bilge feature installed. Not sure how this auto feature works because I could not find a float or anything in the bottom of the boat.

My questions are

1. Any idea what is going on?
  2. Do you think the pump is locked up because it was run dry for an extended period of time?
  3. Does anyone know what the part number for the bilge pump on this boat is? Model?
  4. Can I just replace the cartridge on the pump?

Start with the basics.  Is the pump clogged?  I have an open bilge so I get all kinds of debris in my pump.  Just clean it out and away it goes.  Do you have a meter?  Is there voltage at the pump? If not then you have a wiring problem.  I wouldn't put larger fuses in it.  You risk burning up the wiring or the pump motor if you go too big.  Not much can be deduced until you actually have a look at the pump.  Is it hard to get to?

Yes, don't upsize the fuses, a bilge pump amp draw for typical 500gpm is only about 2A, so wiring would have been sized accordingly and won't be able to hand a ton of current.

Do you have a DVOM (multimeter)?

Any idea what is going on?

Need more information.

Do you think the pump is locked up because it was run dry for an extended period of time?

Possibly.

Does anyone know what the part number for the bilge pump on this boat is? Model?

I do not

Can I just replace the cartridge on the pump?

Maybe

Like the other poster mentioned, start checking for voltage and path to ground, if there is a float, or other type of water sensor, you will have to find a way to "trick" it into allowing the pump wiring to get voltage.  At minimum you need a test light, multimeter is better though.

This problem has been fixed. The bilge pump was locked up. I replaced the cartridge and everything works fine now. I actually ended up freeing up the seized pump and it works just fine. I still replaced with a new cartridge just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Thanks for this topic. I'm in the same boat. Well, my own boat, not yours, but you know what I mean.