3crows

Impulse purchase Falcon JC Finesse spinning rod

Last one, price was right, picked it up. Felt nice in my hand, never really owned my very own freshwater bass dedicated fairy stick before now. It is a 7.0 foot Jason Christie (Drop Shot/Finesse model), sleek, silver, made in USA, says so on the rod and it has the US flag on the split grip. I have a growing fleet of Falcons (all USA made) and St Croix rods. But my first spinning rig. 

I thought it would compliment my falcon Weightless Worm and Curado 70XG for the even lighter finesses and wacky rigs. it is Med. power and MF tip, sounds about right for this application. I do not have a reel, it will be a Shimano 250 size, not sure what model is appropriate for this application, rather keep the price balanced.

Thoughts on the rod? Thoughts on a good reel?

For a $100 spinner you wont do any better than a Daiwa BG. I have always liked Falcon rods thought they gave good bang for the buck.

Just an update, went a little overboard. Got a Shimano Stradic 2500 CI4+. And in keeping with the thread on matching rod and reel, it matches pretty dang good. Spooled it with 8 pound Berkly TransOptic. Never used that line before. Intend to use the rig most immediately for Ned Rigs in Table Rock.

Kind of odd, never owned one of these fairy wands before and yet somehow this is my most expensive reel. Everything else I have is Curados of various flavors which suit me fine but I could not resist this little beauty. I did get a 20% coupon off the price and another $25 coupon for my next purchase ( :) ), so not a bad deal. 

I prefer the term "sissy stick" but whatever works...just saying! Don't use either around the walleye guys though, they can be a little sensitive about this?

Nice sissy rig!

2 hours ago, Jeff H said:

I prefer the term "sissy stick" but whatever works...just saying! Don't use either around the walleye guys though, they can be a little sensitive about this?

Nice sissy rig!

Maybe so but this is a bass forum and that is what my grandpa called them and he had several, long before they were common, or even uncommon, in the deep south where I am from. In fact, aside from him, the only spinning rods I saw were a couple of kids who moved down on our lake (we lived on a lake) from way up in Maine. This being back in the 60s. I worked in a sporting goods store during my first college years, a fairly large and well stocked one, there was not a single spinning outfit in our inventory, none. This was back when the Lew's Speed Sticks hit the market hard and the Abu 5000 series reels were what bassmen used with Buzz Gears and Power Handles. 

Maybe if one's fishing memory only goes back to the 90s that person might not understand the humor but the fact is, back then, way down on the bayou, I never saw a spinning rods. I am sure there were some around maybe a bunch, just never, ever saw any. 

So, it is a new adventure for me and I hope I like the little thing.

I actually do have a couple more, I got them at Bass Pro in Destin, to troll behind my kayak. I figured if I rolled the thing is the surf, going or coming they would be no great loss. I fished the wreck of the Tug Mary Louise I think it is. They were combo rigs, about 5000 size, cost about $40 each. This new rig is for bass only, it will never see salt, I have other junk for tearing up in salt water.