Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey Guys, After years from fishing jon boats and buying my first bass boat which My friend will be buying from me I decided to sell her .I decided to switch to kayaks bought a pa 14 and will be buying a used jackson coosa hd for fishing rivers . Are there anyone who has done the same and how has it worked out ? , For me I love it it's more relaxing and I can take it to places i would never take a boat . I will eventually will  get a used g3 1860 jon boat which is bascilly for river fishing . I wished I started kayak fishing years ago I never realized how fun it is "simple but effective ". I have nothing against bass boats just not for me . If you guys have any suggestions on kayaking I would appreciate it Thanks Bobby 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never had bass boat but decided on kayak over john boat this past summer. I bought the PA12 and outfitted nicely. Its been great to get off bank and I can throw kayak in rear of jeep with bed extender and take it all over.

 

I've met a bunch of good people kayaking and we end up fishing together, I have only been on lakes but will be smallie fishing in rivers this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 68camaro said:

I never had bass boat but decided on kayak over john boat this past summer. I bought the PA12 and outfitted nicely. Its been great to get off bank and I can throw kayak in rear of jeep with bed extender and take it all over.

 

I've met a bunch of good people kayaking and we end up fishing together, I have only been on lakes but will be smallie fishing in rivers this year.

That is another great things about yaks just put in the bed of truck and go fishing , I have also meet some good people on hobie and yak sites , It's going to be a good year of fishing just have to wait to ice out .Thanks for the reply 68camaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love kayak fishing, fresh or salt. Your Hobie PA14 is an

awesome "boat" for the job. I'd actually love a PA12 with

the new 180 Mirage drive to put my legs to work! Alas,

no $$ with 4 boys, a house, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and snakes.

 

My wife would permanently make me sleep on the couch

if I snuck a PA12 into my kayak arsenal. In the meantime

my Native Ultimate 12 + 30# thrust trolling setup does

the job well :) 

 

Good luck in your endeavors. My advice, most importantly:

 

1) ALWAYS wear your PFD

2) See #1 (Life is too precious to assume you're always safe)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Darren. said:

I love kayak fishing, fresh or salt. Your Hobie PA14 is an

awesome "boat" for the job. I'd actually love a PA12 with

the new 180 Mirage drive to put my legs to work! Alas,

no $$ with 4 boys, a house, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and snakes.

 

My wife would permanently make me sleep on the couch

if I snuck a PA12 into my kayak arsenal. In the meantime

my Native Ultimate 12 + 30# thrust trolling setup does

the job well :) 

 

Good luck in your endeavors. My advice, most importantly:

 

1) ALWAYS wear your PFD

2) See #1 (Life is too precious to assume you're always safe)

The Native is a nice set up even better with trolling motor . I fish mostly bass but I will be doing more salt this year I have some great spots for catching stripers I couldn't get a boat in these spots but the hobie will get in there, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bobby F said:

The Native is a nice set up even better with trolling motor . I fish mostly bass but I will be doing more salt this year I have some great spots for catching stripers I couldn't get a boat in these spots but the hobie will get in there, 

My U12 is definitely a great fishing machine, esp with

the motor attached. Probably a tad easier than peddle

systems in that I set the speed and control direction 

with my feet as opposed to controlling speed with feet

and direction with a hand, rod in other hand.

 

Not sure which is better, technically, but I wouldn't mind

the workout of the Hobie system :) . That and I wouldn't

have to register it...until I decided to motorize it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Darren. said:

My U12 is definitely a great fishing machine, esp with

the motor attached. Probably a tad easier than peddle

systems in that I set the speed and control direction 

with my feet as opposed to controlling speed with feet

and direction with a hand, rod in other hand.

 

Not sure which is better, technically, but I wouldn't mind

the workout of the Hobie system :) . That and I wouldn't

have to register it...until I decided to motorize it.                 

Hey Darren it peddles so easy you don't even break a sweat . hobie does sell a motor though but is like over 2000 . Or you can do dyi do your set up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobby F said:

Hey Darren it peddles so easy you don't even break a sweat . hobie does sell a motor though but is like over 2000 . Or you can do dyi do your set up 

Yeah, the Hobie motor is a Torqueedo and crazy priced.

Heck, the Torqueedo is pricey no matter who sells it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to demo a 14 pa. You lucky dog!! It was awesome and stable I was amazed. I was standing up throwing deep cranks and never felt nervous. I’m waiting for the right time to get one I had a blast enjoy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 7:23 PM, Bobby F said:

Hey Guys, After years from fishing jon boats and buying my first bass boat which My friend will be buying from me I decided to sell her .I decided to switch to kayaks bought a pa 14 and will be buying a used jackson coosa hd for fishing rivers . Are there anyone who has done the same and how has it worked out ? , For me I love it it's more relaxing and I can take it to places i would never take a boat . I will eventually will  get a used g3 1860 jon boat which is bascilly for river fishing . I wished I started kayak fishing years ago I never realized how fun it is "simple but effective ". I have nothing against bass boats just not for me . If you guys have any suggestions on kayaking I would appreciate it Thanks Bobby 

I started fishing in 2017 from a cheap old 15hp 16' V-hull and a tippy $30 yak, got hooked. For 2018 I've upgraded both, a simple 14' jon (using motor, seats, etc. from the old boat) plus a PA12. Like you, wanted something smaller/lighter for smaller water and easier load/launch so I got a $185 Sundolphin Journey SS10 (10', 44 lb) as a "last resort" yak which I can literally throw in the truck bed.

 

Haven't had any of them one on the water yet. Can't wait. Every time I think about the high cost I look over the yak and conclude that every detail is "better." You can get a cheaper yak, sure. I bet you're going to love that PA14. As for yak suggestions, my opinion: Wear a PFD; safety #1; use an anchor trolley and anchor (nothing blows more than being blown around by the wind or current when yak fishing. And your PA14 should have molded-in brass threads to accept screws for the trolley pulleys. No tearing up your hull!); consider landing gear (that PA is heavy); keep your tackle selection to a minimum.

 

If and when the times comes to get down to only one boat? Hope that's a long way off, but the winner would be the PA12 (barring any physical conditions that would keep me from handling/operating it).

 

Looking forward to hearing how you like the PA14 when the season comes around.

 

On 1/19/2018 at 11:05 PM, Darren. said:

1) ALWAYS wear your PFD

2) See #1 (Life is too precious to assume you're always safe)

Funny, I just gave the same advice without seeing this.

 

When things go wrong, they go wrong real fast, especially on the water.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, haggard said:

 use an anchor trolley and anchor (nothing blows more than being blown around by the wind or current when yak fishing.

 

Yesterday I was on lake with a ton of timber and lost 5 lures vertical fishing due to being blown around so fast by wind. I couldn't stay on spot for any amount of time, I also lost my plug knocker in the timber, very frustrating and no fish.

 

Anchor will be new purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my first kayak back in 1991. At the time I thought I would move on to larger water craft down the road. However, the simplicity of the kayak, the paddle, a few rods and whatever tackle that fits into a milk crate really appeals to me. From Lake Champlain to the North down to Lake Toho in the South and hundreds of lakes, ponds, rivers and creeks in between it has been me and the yak searching for those bass.

 

Late March I head to Kentucky Lake to fish for the top prize of $ 100,000.00 in the KBF National Championship. Bass fishing in a kayak has evolved in an almost unimaginable way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Darren. said:

Yeah, the Hobie motor is a Torqueedo and crazy priced.

Heck, the Torqueedo is pricey no matter who sells it!

I know the price of the motor is crazy

3 hours ago, Turtle135 said:

I got my first kayak back in 1991. At the time I thought I would move on to larger water craft down the road. However, the simplicity of the kayak, the paddle, a few rods and whatever tackle that fits into a milk crate really appeals to me. From Lake Champlain to the North down to Lake Toho in the South and hundreds of lakes, ponds, rivers and creeks in between it has been me and the yak searching for those bass.

 

Late March I head to Kentucky Lake to fish for the top prize of $ 100,000.00 in the KBF National Championship. Bass fishing in a kayak has evolved in an almost unimaginable way.

 

Turtle I totally agree it's has involved I am will also be looking to buy a used jackson coosa so i can fish rivers that you have to hike to get to . Love cruising down the river fishing shoals and fishing spots that have never seen a lure , To me that is what fishing is all about simple but effective . Turtle  I wish  you luck in the tournament that's great hopefully in the next few years I will be fishing in one..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×