My fishing buddy and me are kicking off 2018 with a long weekend trip to Shearon Harris at the end of February with the hopes of nailing some nice Largemouth. As this is the 1st time Ever fishing here, I’m  looking for some basic info on the lake and area. Where are the best boat ramps? Where is a good, reasonably priced place to stay? Any suggestions on local restaurants? And, of course, a fishing report. I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole, just some water temps, water clarity and suggestions for general areas to check out. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 1

Also looking for info. Anyone out there fish this place?

Excellent fishing lake,  Nuclear power plant reactor that keep water temps warmer than most local water which allows the fish to get bigger.  Public boat ramp is here. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shearon+Harris+Boat+Launch/@35.6080496,-78.9412522,920m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89ac97309421c599:0x75452f8ecc24c57c!8m2!3d35.6080453!4d-78.9390635

Holly springs is decent sized town with hotels, restaurants, etc.  Not sure about water temps and clarity right now.  Decent vegetation in this lake if you like to fish grass lines.

https://***/outdoors/bass-fishing/Article/Details-on-the-Two-40-pound-Limits-of-Bass-in-North-Carolina-101458618

Here is a something to get you guys excited

Thanks a lot for the info Lasher, it’s really appreciated. I know it’s a little early in the year but I hope the bass are moving up from the winter haunts to the shallower to feed. I’d read about those 2 massive limits and from there I’ve read a lot more about how good this lake is. Thanks again!

The entire fishing population of eastern NC will likely be on that lake from now til June. Nothing like extreme viral publicity to attract the world. lol. 

28lbs only got 3rd place last weekend in a tournament there. It still produces for some, no doubt about it! 

Good luck!

Thanks for the input KNHC and you are right about the extreme publicity. That hole of water is everywhere online. Hopefully we can manage to sorelip a few bass before they get pressured to death. I also read your post about the your one man tournament on Hartwell and it made me laugh out loud. The fact that Humor can be lost on some people blows my mind! 

Yeah, the admin has no sense of humor at all. Wouldnt even reply to my DM , haha! i was just in the mood to joke around a little. Going to hartwell again tomorrow. But ,most likely, i will be after crappie. Planning a trip to Santee next weekend. Should be on like crazy down there for bass! Good luck and let me know how you do on Harris. 

38Lbs on Falls and Harris over the weekend.  You will be catching it at a good time. Squarebills, shakeyheads, and Jigs

HillBilly,  How was Shearon Harris?

Lasher, we struggled quite a bit. We got to the ramp at 7:30 and there were already about 150 boats (literally!) on the water. Most of the traffic was due to a Piedmont Bass association tournament. We ran the lake to get a feel for it and to find a spot that didn’t have 3 boats on it already. We started fishing a causeway bridge on the upper end of one of the branches of Harris. About 20 minutes in to the day I had a big fish absolutely slam a wiggle wart and run deep. After a good fight and a lot of whooping and hollering I landed a Bowfin that weighed about 6 pounds. Got my heart pumping but it really disappointed me that it wasn’t a bass. About an hour after that I hooked a Largemouth I estimated at about 3-4 pounds on a jerkbait that threw the lure. I lost another slot limit fish on the jerkbait shortly after that too. The rest of the day was a grind and we managed catch a few dinks on a senko. We started having some motor trouble late in the day due to a leak in our fuel line and called it a day. We talked to the guy who won the tournament and he weighed in like 33 pounds or so. We hit Jordan lake the next day and our trolling motor crapped out about 30 minutes in to the day because of a short somewhere. After working on it for a while we just pulled out and headed home. The first impression of Harris wasn’t great but I do want to come back and then back and try it again. I could see how someone could catch  some giants when they learn the lake.