LAO162

Vertical Jig Spinning Rod for All Purpose Use?

How are walleye vertical jig rods as all purpose rods?  I will be fishing from the banks that have brush, tall grass & trees.  Since I have 4 bass jig rods, I'm looking for an all purpose rod that will work with small cranks, topwaters and weightless plastics.  I'm looking to compliment:

• Kistler Helium 2 7'0 mh
  • Kistler Argon DS 6'11" mh
  • Shimano Cumara DC 7'1" mh
  • G Loomis IMX SJR 723 6'0"mh

• Browning Midas 6'6" mf - best casting distance and currently the moving bait rod

Previously I had a 6'3" ML Shimano Crucial that was fun with most baits.  It also was great for flicking lures around obstacles on the bank.

Anyhow, today I saw the St Croix Legend Tournament Walleye 6'3" ML.  It seemed to have a softer and slower action than the ML Avid and Avid X.  The Medium version seem almost as stiff as my IMX 723, so I focused on the ML.  I also played with an IMX SJR 722, but it still seemed a bit stiff for smaller baits.

At my quarry I use a lot of Manns baby minus 1 cranks because deeper crank baits get caught/lost in the rocks on the bottom.

Can a ML vertical jigging rod play a role as an all purpose bankbeating rod?

Because it was marked down $90 and had felt so good in my hand yesterday, I went back to the shop today and brought home the St Croix LTWS63MLX.  I think it will be fun use from tight spaces on the banks.  It should also be fun with pan fish.  In my comparisons I kept going back and forth with the G Loomis IMX SJR722.

You'll love that rod. Perhaps a little short for bass fishing, but if you're fishing from bank a lot it could also be perfect!

• Like 1