68camaro

Checking on streams in Peaks of Otter, VA

Drove to Peaks of Otters today looking for open water to flyfish. There was some moving water in center of streams but the pools and any still water was frozen. Tried fishing but line kept getting swept into ice edges causing it to snag, still was fun to get some casts in with the Tenkara rod on small mountain streams. Also water was very low all over.

• Like 1

Glad you drove up the mountain to the Peaks of Otter.

Go back when the weather is warmer and there is more water.

Let us know how you do.

I don't think anyone in the history of this Forum has penned anything about fishing Peaks of Otter. You are the first.

1 hour ago, Sam said:

I don't think anyone in the history of this Forum has penned anything about fishing Peaks of Otter. You are the first.

Neat, I love fly fishing. A big reason I took up bass fishing seriously is because getting to mountains is so time consuming from Richmond. Around Richmond we are blessed with many species of fish and great places to fish and for years I never took advantage of it. 

While Peaks of Otter is a alittle over 2 hrs away, I literally have several nice ponds and a resevoir minutes from my house, plus I can fish the James before and after work and have done it during lunch. Now with kayak instead of watching people striper fish around the 95 bridge from my high rise office I can be out there with kayak......can't wait for shad to run:)  Add the smallies on the James I can target with 8wt and I am in hog heaven. 

• Thanks 1

Went to Peaks of Otter last October, camped and fished a couple of days. Caught few SMB on POP'R and shallow cranks could never really pen down what the wanted. No fish over 14". I hear it can be good at times, maybe I was there at the wrong time.